Swelling/puffiness

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello fellow recoverers!

I am now nearly 9 weeks post op and foot stiff looks really puffy. It is not hot though and only really gives any heat out at the end of the day. it can feel quite cold and yet obviously puffed up all around the top end of my foot. I have a dimple in the middle of the foot where the plaster cut my foot slightly so this looks very strange as it remains depressed but puffy all around it.  I cannot really notice much improvement in the last week or so despite being a bit more mobile.

any body else had this?

not sure whether to keep it raised more or exercise more to get circulation going??

my big toe is still stiff and sore to retry and get into shoes.....

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My doctor give me injection for this, so it's almost gone now.i am almost 5 weeks now.
    • Posted

Do you know what the injections were? I've not heard of anyone getting injections. How are your feet now?
    • Posted

Hi, Bev!  Sorry, I forgot the name, I will go to the doctor coming Tuesday and ask about it! I am against all kind of medication and try to avoid  them. He promised me it's no damage to me, so I did. Yes, my swelling almost gone and I can wear normal shoes and next week will try to drive the car. 
  • Posted

Hi Sue. I am now 16 weeks post op and having lived in slippers, trainers and flat boots and living by all the rules we had an evening out in London last night and I decided to wear a low heeled shoe which was comfortable and walking was pain free, but golly gosh, am I paying for it today.  My foot is badly swollen and tender, so even after 16 weeks the recovery period continues.  It is a long, long haul and patience and rest is key.  Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks Sue.  I bought some fat face flat boots this week in a slightly bigger size as they are a little easier to get on than the trainer as my big toe is very unhappy to be bent upwards! Sorry to hear your low heel did not work out.  I have just booked an easter holiday but should hopefully be ok in flip flops as fur lined boots would be a bit odd I guess......!

have you been exercising your toe at all?

• Posted

Hi a Sue. My big toe was bent upwards but it does settle down.  I did gentle exercises every day, flexing your toes up and down and round and round.  When my foot was swollen around about the  9 week mark, my surgeon told me to fill two bowls, one with hot water ( as hot as you can tolerate) and another with cold water and alternate soaking your foot for 30 seconds in each for about 5 minutes, twice daily.  I was really surprised how much the swelling went down. Also gently massage your toe area and foot it really does help. 
    • Posted

Sue, don't forget salt in your water, it will better. Also try to eat and drink stuff that will help to get your swelling down: cherry and pineapple juices, nuts, tomatoes, salmon....
    • Posted

For some reason it won't let me vote for your response irina but thank you.
  • Posted

Thanks ladies. I will follow your advice. 😊
  • Posted

I'm at 12 weeks and my foot swells still swells like this if I've been on my feet too long. I have to go and elevate it straight away. It's a good excuse for a cuppa and read for 30 minutes or so! The description you give, tells my your foot is swollen with fluid which is therefore building up pressure around your operation site. It's what is know medically as oedema. By elevating your foot higher than your heart the fluid will gradually disperse. I'd say you've been jumping the gun and doing too much. I certainly wouldn't exercise more -you need to rest it more. Frustrating I know but it'll be worth it. Remember it can take up to one year for the bones, nerves and tendons to settle and become strong again. Best wishes, LadyPink
    • Posted

Thanks. I am an impatient patient and with two children and a job I should be getting back to I just get frustrated! When I reflect on it I have seen great improvement in my foot over the last couple of weeks so am chuffed with that.  I also now think that the dimple scar I have about 1cm below second toe could well be a tendon release scar...would that make sense? I am not keen at looking at the procedure on Internet as don't like seeing the pictures..😳 will try and behave and phase my return to work.

thanks for responses. X

• Posted

Hi Sue, With four medical professionals in my family, medical matters is all we seem to talk about...  I'm interested in watching all operations but I have to say, this foot operation did make me feel a bit queasy the first time I saw it. I've seen several versions of the operation on youtube since and I have to admit it is fantastic. I understand your frustration but hang on in there as the way you look after yourself now is crucial to you having the good result you want. It pays off in the long run if you elevate the foot as much as you can day and night even at 9/10 weeks. Once the improvements do start, which sounds like it's happening to you now, they happen so fast!  Not much longer and you'll be surprised at how much more you can do in a short time. At 70 I'm retired - but suddenly I'm  running around like I'm a 17 year old again so my husband says he's going to enter me for the next London Marathon. HaHa I don't think so! Be patient just a little longer Sue and your patience will be rewarded, believe me. All the best .LadyPink
    • Posted

Thanks lady pink you are an inspiration. I still won't be watching YouTube though!, 😃

• Posted

Sue,you are so right, sometimes it's better to know less. Last month before operation I was ready to cancel it, reading about all bad experience. But do your part right, have a nice doctor and everything else in the hands of God!
    • Posted

Hi Irina, You are so right about reading so many of the bad experiences. It made me determined to let everyone know of my 'positive' ones after I'd had my op done. I did the same about having a double prolapse operation 17 months ago. There were so many scary reports about that too. It's funny isn't it, some of us want to find out all we can - so we know what we're facing - and some of us like yourself and Sue would rather not. We are all different. I find I'm not so scared if know all the facts. No...that's no strictly true...I was petrified both times!! I nearly cancelled both ops but something made me go through them. But hey, we've gone and done it so well done to us!  Think positive and all will be well. Best wishes. LadyPink
    • Posted

I have lots of questions now it is done but still cannot face looking at the pictures of the procedure!  I was so busy at work up to the operation date that I did not research it enough and treated it like another project that I would focus on when the time came!  Silly really as I was unaware that the recovery would be so long.  I am going back to work later this week at week 9 so will see how I get on and if my brain remembers how to function properly!

i think there should be more information supplied about recovery feelings.  This forum is great but had to search it out myself.  Would also have been useful to be offered the facility to share information with other patients at the same stage in the hospital.  I am now managing to do that having bumped into one Lady I saw at one of my appointments and the support really helps.

thanks for your continued support 😀

• Posted

let me know how you get on at work. I'm dreading it. today I hobbled around a shop in a pair of over sized trainers. My feet and legs were aching so much all I could do for the rest of the day was sit with my feet up.
    • Posted

I will!  I am nervous as it has been ages and know that just getting around the office requires a fair bit of walking but determined to take it easy if I can. Having to wear my ugg type boots as the over sized trainers are too scruffy really! 

dont worry though you will see improvement now.  Mine has improved loads in the last 3 weeks but am reminded not to overdo it when I get swelling and pain under my big toe nail.  Try to focus on how far you have already come and be pleased with progress you have made.  All heading in the right direction!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.