Swelling & stiffness

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am just over 4 months post Tkr. Thankful I am able to sleep at night at last & can just about cope with the scar being covered.

My problem now is I still have swelling & terrible , stiffness. My surgeon says it's normal. How much longer will it be till I AM normal.

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

14 weeks today and I had staples but healed beautifully - using Vitamin E Cream which I have been using for several months. I understand about some sensitivity but had very little. Sometimes my jeans seem to irritate my scar a little. My swelling has gone down considerably and I need to get back to therapy for final 2 sessions, I hope. I have been in vacation for 2 weeks and, although I exercised most days, have probably regressed a little. With the swelling down, though, I may be able to move my leg further back. Hang in there. "This is a marathon, not a sprint" is what everyone tells me. Prayers to all !!

• Posted

A marathon it is with no doubt at all Karen but we will get there in the end. Good luck, greatvyou had a vacation x
  • Posted

Hi Eileen:

?I am 6 months post op and still have numbness on one side of my scar along with swelling in the same area along with swelling not over but above my new knee.   I have been told it could be up to a year before I am completely "back to normal".  Stiffness is still somewhat happening but I just have to exercise more.  Please do not get discouraged.

• Posted

Thank you Connie. Am sorry you are still suffering .... but it's reassuring to know just how long it takes . I am going to my grandson's wedding . A 5 hour drive (I'm not driving) at the end of July. I'm just hoping I can make it. am a bit worried but have almost 2 months before we go. Thanks for your kind words , I guess we all have good days & not so good days. Take care

• Posted

Can you take some frozen packs to put on your knee while you're in the car Eileen?  Or, is there room in the car for you to sit at the back with your leg up across the seat?  If you're going to be on your feet or sitting with feet on the floor for a lot of the day, that MIGHT help?    But yes, as you said, you've got two months yet - a lot can change in a week, nevermind a month or so!

• Posted

Good idea Chris if I'm still worried I can tajebdone ice.,also could probably sit in back with kegs up. Gosh butbin Two months, as you say a lot can happen in one week. Will definitely give journey the thought, nearer the time x

• Posted

I'm 4 months TKR too and I still have swelling and heat around my knee. Stiffness isn't too bad but it's there still.

I don't think 'normal' is ever going to be a word I use for my new knee. To me it looks so odd, nothing like my 'real' knee which gets me down.

• Posted

I'm almost 15 months post-op.  Nuttin'...  All that crap is gone.  It just takes time.  You will look back a year from now on what you wrote and realize that you were wrong...that you overcame it...that you have your life back.  Hard work and patience...you will get there...

• Posted

Ali, you might be surprised - I've suddenly realised that the shape of my kneecap is back LOL!  You're my 'flexible friend Ali' aren't you?  I was surprised you'd got stiffness if so - because I haven't and assumed it was being so flexible that meant I didn't have stiffness.  Maybe it's because I'm not doing so much still, because the other knee is so bad!

• Posted

Hello ... Yes I'm your flexible friend lol

Stiffness isn't too bad, mainly only when I've not moved enough but can't grumble.

Omg the shape of mine is just so odd, plus the skin is all wrinkly ... maybe it's just because I'm old 😂

• Posted

YEP skin is wrinkly!  It's where it stretched when it swelled and swelling has gone.  I did joke with my husband before I even had the op that I'd need 'knee lifts' when they were done LOL!  My knee that's going to be done next has got a 'fat pad' just on the lower bit of the kneecap (I think caused by an injury when I fell in a hole in the road years back) and I asked the surgeon if he could liposuction it but he reckoned not LOL!  But all in all, with the broken veins, and accident damage on the already operated knee, I've given up worrying now.  I came to he conclusion that I'll be lucky to have two working legs, so that's enough for me:-)))  I never was a 'skirts' girl.

• Posted

Lol ... I'll keep mine well and truly covered up aswell.

Demi Moore had a knee tuck but quite frankly if I looked anything like her I wouldn't have bothered ... Who looks at her knees 😂

• Posted

LOL!  I like that LOL!  Just going to google it now LOL!
    • Posted

Hi Chris,I seemed to have lost contact with 'Patients ' so hope you get this. I wondered if you had any news yet about you next surgery from eileen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.