Swelling stl 14 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an orif surgery to my left fibula due to a noon union break mid March on May2nd. Is been14weeks. I have only now just started full weight bearing in boot. What do you guys do to help with swelling? By end of day I'm in pain and looks like i have no ankle just a big puffy ball. Would compression stockings help? I start pt on Monday. I also was told to progress out of boot into lace up brace end of aug. I'm just getting frustrated that this is taking so long to recover from. Number one juts been 22 weeks since break and number2 doc surgen said after surgery it'd be12 well recovery I'm at14 weeks and stl have 3 more weeks to go in boot.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

All I can say, because we're all different, is to elevate and ice intermittently as you can throughout the day. I take Motrin for inflammation but I'd ask your Dr before changing any meds. Getting those toes above your nose is key, especially with new use because it's going to get a little angrier again. You've been out a long time, I know it's frustrating. Keep a good diet and massage the area to promote circulation. I was told compression socks would help me later, my inciosion are too sensitive for it at the moment, when I'm on my feet all day. Good luck, I hope you turn that corner soon!

• Posted

I just went today 8-7-17 For first follow up after having ankle surgery on 7-27-17. I go back 9-1-17. The doctor says I will go in boot next and begin weight bearing. I have a bimalleolar fracture. I have heard compression socks are helpful. I will be getting some before 9-1-17. I found some on Amazon and a ankle Ice Pack wrap . Right now I am resigning myself to living on the couch with my leg elevated. Waiting for 9-1-17 to go to the next step and see how I do. Keep me informed on your progress and what helps you. It can help me . Light, love , peace and speedy recovery to you.
    • Posted

Make sure you get your Even Up Shoe thro amazon when you order socks. Use with boot for future healthy other bones. 
    • Posted

I'm not sure if you would know this, but, being on the almost same dates as you (my appt is early this am), does anyone go back to work the 6th week? Maybe 8th week? You're out for longer than I was thinking I might be but I might be wrong by a lot lol. Are you back to work yet? I got one of those ankle wraps too. I think it says rainbow on it and has black Velcro wrap. I also ordered ProCompression brand socks. They almost always have a code to use for discount. I believe nursefb is one of them for 50% off. Good luck

• Posted

Not back to work yet bc I'm a nursing aid can't do that work in a boot. Won't be out of boot till Sep. 1st. I'm looking for other jobs bc my able is so weak add it is jumping back in to aid work prob is not a good idea.

• Posted

I am a nurse. Sitting at my appt right now waiting.  I thought, before I read up on all of this, that I'd be back in about a week, being. at 6 weeks post op now.I'm wishfully thinking. They didn't have any desk work for me to do. I won't be able to pick up at my other job because they usually kill me there and I'm running all noc! I'll say it again, this takes forever. I'm so anxious for the verdict.

• Posted

None of us realise how long it takes to recover. When I first broke fib fracture tib I thought. Bugger will be off work for at least a darn(watered down language) month. 4 1/2 DARN months later I'm looking forward to getting back next week. Starting easy and with wheelchair accessible if required. Although have been walking unaided since week 10/11. Boy husband has a nursing background and has looked after me. The hospital I was in was not good and he used his terminator voice "she's coming with me to home". They signed release papers, I was so frightened in there and very happy to be home. There are a few people in that hospital that require a broken ankle😇  I'm so scared of going back to hospital I'm keeping hardware in to the grave. 

• Posted

GOOD NEWS! My bone has healed ahead of schedule and doc was pleasantly surprised. I have the go to wean off my boot and crutches, etc., as tolerated! I feel so good. I could NOT sleep last night worrying about the possibility of non union after all of that self care/mental anguish! So, I went for a walk on a trail with my "even up" over my right tennis shoe and then had a steak dinner on the grill with sweet corn for celebration! It was such a beautiful day, I got a little teary going for my first real walk in 7 weeks. (I will admit I cheated walking a little bit here and there a few days before my appt, which increased my anxiety last night 😝 Thinking oh boy maybe I shouldn't have done that..) I don't have the go to go back to work yet, much like Crystal. My follow up appt is in 4 weeks. My doc said he'd give me the go sooner if I was ready and I start PT tomorrow ??. Feeling good to share the good news. Thank you

• Posted

I am so happy for you. I just got cast 8-7-17. They said all looked well . Go back 9-1-17 and if all looks good go to boot and full weight bearing
    • Posted

Awesome. So happy for you. Just take it easy and once your walking you need to tell yourself not to limp. I have found taking smaller steps and being mindful to keep feet pointing in same direction and even telling myself not to limp. My body was trying to protect me, i still can't walk without looking at the floor. Thank care and enjoy every recovery step. 

• Posted

I hear you. I'm constantly thinking to myself-follow through with the weak step. My brain keeps me from wanting to bear all the weight still. I swelled up like mofo after my walk yesterday. I ordered an ankle air cast cryocuff from eBay after reading someone's entry here. I believe that will come in handy for some time to come. Thank you for that suggestion. I'm going for another walk today before PT. I have to get used to walking normal for sure!

• Posted

*follow through with the WHOLE step. That's means no lifting off or to the side midway through like my body wants to lol, and straight. Excited to learn PT today ?? My dad also has his follow up CT to see how chemo is working again. Wish us luck and I'll do the same ??

• Posted

I got a cold therapy machine and it was a lifesaver! You can get them on Amazon and they can stay on for hours. The ahoulder and k ee pads fit right around the ankle. Also massage does help with swelling. Im 7 months  out and still get swelling in the afternoon and evening. Doc said even up to a tear. The reusable ice packs are great for At work or travelling.

Margie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.