Swelling when not elevated

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am on my sixth month and when ever my foot is not elevated it starts to swell after the first ten minutes. Anyone else have that problem after three to five months. I have to move around, it is unrealistic to keep my foot elevated 24 hours a day.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hhhmm that's a long time to still keep getting a lot to f swelling.

Mine used to swell each time I put it down but it gets used to it after a while. (This is my 3rd major op on my foot and have tried all sorts over the last 3-4 years)

The thing that helps is massage an manipulation.

If you have a partner get them to massage and push up towards the heart.

I went to someone that does Lymphatic drainage and that helped immensely.

Regards

Jean

• Posted

I am 6 weeks out from ORIF after a Trimalleolar fracture and get my cast off on Tuesday and am not being offered any Physical Therapy. I need to be able to be up and need to up and walking so I can get a job and get back to work. At that far out I'm just curious, are you able to work? It sounds like elevation is so very important and I'm wondering how I'm going to approach a new potential boss with the request of needing to elevate my leg and perhaps not being able to get up and walk around too much..

• Posted

Looking for employment, I use a wheelchair to get around. I'm unemployed.

• Posted

If you don't have an aid like a walker, wheel chair, something to help you get around then it will be difficult if your non weight bearing. An employer can't refuse you employment because you are handicapped. Employment doing something sitting is best.

• Posted

Hello Sonya -        I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with swelling after six months.    I think I must be one of the lucky ones.   I'm 14 weeks post surgery and yes, I do have some swelling after a day on my feet but nothing out of the ordinary.   However, my surgeon did say to me at the beginning that swelling was normal up to twelve months after the surgery.    So maybe this is normal for you.   We're all very different, none of us are 'wired' the same and we all have different symptoms and problems.

I think this is the beauty of this Forum, all our individual problems can be washed, rung out and aired and it makes such a great difference to our state of mind.

This surgery takes a lot of getting over and none of us are told enough about what to expect.

I think you may have to accept the swelling but when you can - elevate and ice as much as possible.    I think the massage which Jean suggests is a very good idea.

Best of luck.   Pauline 

• Posted

Hey Sonia, just read your post. I too am having swelling and what look's to be a big knot or....a blister on outside of ankle bone especially... I'm beginning my 9th week post up and going crazy being immobile basically. The mental part is even worse. How are you now and how long ago did you have your surgery? I broke my tibia in two places and my fibula and also dislocated my left ankle. Had surgery. They put a plate,screws and a pin. I am.in boot cast after 4 different casts because Ortho. had to recheck infection.So many antibiotics. Little pain now and am.partial weight bearing soooo I'm praying he knew what he was doing.I fired him and now don't know how to get into see a physical therapist. Any suggestion's? Thanks.

• Posted

That is a very long time. Have you tried an elasticated stocking? I found that this helped reduce the swelling also wrapping an ice bandage around the swollen area.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

No, I haven't tried a stocking. Will try both the ice and the stocking. Want to get well, can't bear the thought of not getting well because I'm moving around.

• Posted

I am also 6 mo

I have a small amount of swelling and was told it could last for a year or more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.