Swelling while in boot

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 7.5 weeks post-op for talonavicular joint fusion. The x-rays looked great at 6 weeks so I'm in a walking boot using crutches. I had to go to the funeral of a family member this week and that required a lot of driving, walking, and standing. Last night and tonight my foot is extremely swollen and my leg is swollen up to my knee. Is that just from over-use? Have any of you had to use compression hose? Any other suggestions?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had to use compression sicky. My foot still swells. I had my surgery Oct 18 2016. I was told swelling is not unusual
    • Posted

Thanks for answering. I guess I was prepared for the foot to swell, but not the leg. Maybe I'll try compression hose or socks.

• Posted

Keep your feet up and ice. Also take meds for swelling add foot and muscle creams do not get on any open sores. It helped a lot and keep you foot up when swelling occurs. In a few weeks it will all resolve itself as long as you follow the doc recommendations.

• Posted

I hadn't thought about open sores. I don't usually have any on my feel, but I'll watch for them anyway. I can put my feet up at night, but not during the day.Thanks for your advice.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you have lost a family member. I had swelling in the early stages of my recovery and asked for a compression hose and it wa a great help in controlling the swelling.

Cheers Richard

PS this was when I was recovering from my ankle replacement surgery.

• Posted

Thanks, Richard. I had compression hose left from my knee surgery, but I think I threw them away last year. I'll go buy more.

• Posted

It will be worth it. I remember that they were always an excellent fall back when elevation and icing were not enough.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Becky

It was a full length one so up to my knee I think.

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.