Swelling without pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all- I’ve been newly diagnosed with RA and have been on Methotrexate for 3 weeks. My pain has been greatly reduced but my swelling is still there. Is this normal? I was on steroids but have finished them and don’t want to go back on them if I can help it!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i had swelling since i was diagnosed donna back in 2013 and i have had it ever since infact its got worse if anything in early days i had no pain with the swelling but as the years roll by can assure u the pain does come out so stick to medication so yes its normal my right hand just now u think was just out the oven lol..its all puffed up 😁 good luck 👍

• Posted

Donna, MTX immediately helped me with my pain, but the swelling comes and goes. You would think the swelling would be associated with pain, but I have not found that. This disease is not "cut and dried" with symtoms and causes. One thing I would recommend is paying close attention to your diet. I believe certain foods trigger flares. I have cut out all high fructose corn syrup, tomato products, and have cut back as much as I can with gluten products. 

When I am pain free, I work like a madman and the next day, I am extremely sore. It is a vicious cycle. Good luck.

• Posted

It seems to vary in expression. What might be typical for you and others could be unusual for some. For example, I have never had very noticeable swelling or redness, but a lot of pain, sensitivity, loss of strength, and a feeling of joint looseness or instability, great fatigue and loss of mental acuity, but hardly any visible signs. 

If you have success with some symptoms before others, it is still improvement. You will need to take these medications long term, and they can be slow and gradual in their effects. 

Three weeks on methotrexate seems to me like an very short time to experience any improvement, so I’d call that reall good!  I am comparing to my own experience, where I took it for months before I felt much better. 

• Posted

Blair, I should have been more specific about the time it took Mtx to start working. In my case, I was on oral steroids along with Mtx injections. I believe the steroids helped with immediate pain and when I was weaned off the steroids(three months) the Mtx had started working. 
  • Posted

Hello

Are you on anti inflamatory's as well, i.e. diclofenac occasionally. It may help with the swelling. Also start using turmeric, ( cooking with it or tablets from health shop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.