Swelling without pain? + What does DVT feel like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've recently (about 2/3 weeks ago) had cellulitis & a 2-week course of antibiotics. My lower left leg is all red all the way around. Though it's calmer now leading my GP to say the cellulitis seems to be fading, the swelling seems to come and go, come and go. They won't give me more antibiotics & they say to just keep it elevated.

I've always found my left leg swells up more than my right, though. And I was convinced the redness was just cellulitis. 

But could it be a DVT? It was the first thing my step-dad mentioned to me when seeing my leg. 

I don't have any pain, though. It's tender in parts on my shin not my calf. I sometimes feel like the skin is tight but other people say that's the cellulitis healing. 

I have seen 2 GPs & a nurse and none of them seemed to worry about DVT though despite redness and swelling. Though I did get pain under my ribcage the other day that now I am scared could be linked. I was sure it was just indigestion. 

Could anyone tell me what their DVT felt like?

Do you think I should go back to my GP?

I might be blowing this out of proportion but I'm scared to elevate my leg now because what if it is, and what if it comes lose? Is elevating your leg okay...?

Thanks, guys. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi do we take it you have not had a dvt.everybody is different. i yhink you should go to hospital and get them to check it out.yes it is very painful but with the proper treatment it does get better.
  • Posted

When i had my dvt my leg was very swollen my leg was red hot and rock hard and mottled in colour.it was so painful i couldnt walk on it and it had me in tears.if your worried ask for a second opinion.hope this helps a little x
  • Posted

Thank you everybody. x

No I've never had DVT before!

• Posted

Had my first DVT in 2003 along with an embolism. Feet swelled up so big I could not get my shoes on. Feet and legs have accumulated fluid and swelled (edema) more or less ever since, mostly the left leg. Been on 2.5 mg warfarin since. Outside of the first bout I have had little pain from the edema, just tight skin, swells up during the day and goes down at night. I've had "rust" staining on my legs since the 90's, mine is genetic, but not one of the known ones.

I deal with it by moving i.e. walking every day (the most important thing), and elevating my legs (mostly at night). I recently sat through a 25 hour infusion trying to cure my weak legs (MG) and my feet swelled very badly. Once I started moving again the swelling went down in a couple of days. Also, use good foot moisturizers on your legs and feet or you will have pain when the skin cracks.

Also the varicose vein doctors can be very helpful (it not all about looks). My PT's also do something called lymphatic massage that helps drain the fluid out of my legs.

If you are really worried get pushy and have somebody ultrasound your legs. If you go to a vein doctor they should ultrasound your legs as part of their "free" evaluation and you can watch (and ask questions). Very educational. I think I learned more about leg swelling from the vein doctor then anybody else. The hospital ultrasound techs are usually not supposed to tell you anything.

Even if your problem goes away it may come back. I sympathize with the chest pains I always wonder when I get little tweaks around the rib cage, that my doctors assure me are the rib cage.

• Posted

Thank you very much!

I wish you luck and hope you don't get any more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.