Swimming?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All I am 26 days post op and all seems to be going fine. My concerns are about staying fit and avoiding weight gain. I live on my own and have been very lucky to have friends to bring ready cooked meals etc but because of this I am eating much more than I usually would and a lot less of my usual food... as a result I'm feeling loke a total blob stuck on the sofa. Does anyone know if swimming would be ok once I am allowed to take the six week shoe off? Or any ideas about exercises I could do now?

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stella

My Dr told me I could se

• Posted

Sorry pressed the wrong button. Ad I was saying I was allowed to swim after the fourth week and cycling after the sixth week . Swimming is non weigh bearing so you should be ok, but ask your Dr anyway.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Star I will start looking for a pool and then book in after my 6 week check : )

• Posted

Swimming is fine once wound has healed.  The side of the pool may feel very hard underfoot though so wear crocs or something if I was you.  It will feel a bit where'd too with water swooshing around in between toes!

i am cycling too as you don't have to bend the foot much but good for leg strength etc.

good luck

• Posted

Thanks Sue - good tip about the Crocs was wondering how I can get from the changing room to the pool... might wait til 6 weeks so the bones are a bit more fused together. I feel a bit too scared to cycle in case I need to put mu foot down quickly...
    • Posted

Yes I know what you mean about putting foot down. I didn't do it until about 7-8 weeks post op. You feel stronger each week so listen to your body.

😉

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post op and heading for my first swim tomorrow. I cleared it with my Consultant who said it was fine so long at the wounds had closed. I will be wearing my shoe to the edge of the pool, as I am only heel weight bearing. The only thing I am wondering about is how I get out the pool without putting weight on the front of my foot..,.
    • Posted

Yes thats my worry too - also it could be easy to accidently push off with the wrong part of your foot at the the start of a new length...or if you touch the bottom...wish there was a special swimming shoe I could wear!
  • Posted

So how has the swimming gone? I'm five weeks and still have a scab on part of the wound near the bunion.  So will probably have to wait for that to go before I swim, but I so look forward to the freedom of the water.  Though was wondering if pushing the water with op foot might be a little painful? 

I've biught one of these armchair pedals!  Not arrived yet, but it's supposed to be a safe way of exercising the ankles.  I'll put on here how it goes.  Have you cycled, I'd be too scared to go out in the road just yet!

• Posted

Hi Barabra I think I'm about the same time as you - had op on 1st April so now just over 5 weeks. I decided to wait til 6 week check before venturing to the swimming pool - don't want to do anything to slow down the process, sowill let you know how I;m going after I have 6 week xrays on Tuesday 12th. Hope you are okay and not finding the sitting around too much -- I was getting really fed up as I live alone so I plucked up courage and put a message on Facebook that I needed help, visits and support from friends and have been inundated! Everyone thought I was fine because I didn't say different!
  • Posted

I had my first swim at 4 weeks - no problems. I couldn't kick as hard as normal but your body will tell you. It felt great to be in the water and it was good to be able to do something aerobic. I just pushed off with my other foot, or did a gentle turn instead. I was very conscious of my foot and there was no risk of me accidentally doing something I shouldn't! I did my usual 1000 metres with no after effects. I had my 6 week X-ray today - all exactly as it should be :-) Hope that gives you confidence- my surgeon fully supported swimming as long as the wounds were fully closed. Good luck!
  • Posted

Yes Stella we are same time.  I can't swim yet as the scab over the bunion area about 2cms is still deep.  I love swimming and so look forward to returning, however I have another barrier, local swimming pools don't have walk in steps, I couldn't climb the side steps/ladder of the pool.  I'll have to find further away pools.

I expected to have my X-ray consultation at 6 weeks, but thats not happening until 9 weeks after op!  All my consultant apps have been different to others, I guess it's about when the hospital can fit you in.

great that your friends are helping out, I don't know what I would have done without my husbands support, he has been wonderful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.