Swimming after Total Knee Replacement?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am having pool therapy and have been told not to swin yet. Does anyone have idea when I can get swimming again?

Also on a completely different matter, will I be able to have MRI'sin the future?

I have real problems with my tendons at the backs of my legs (not TKR related) but I thought you can't put metal into these things?

Liz

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was swimming crawl at about 8 weeks, but I've heard you should avoid breaststroke . . can't really understand why. On the one hand they say it's as strong as it will ever be immediately,, and yet say don't swim..

. . . suppose it must be to do with the tendons and muscles . . I shall be interested to hear about the magnetic resonances too!  As titanium is non magnetic, shouldnt be a problem I imagine, but who knows!  don't want our knees flying off the couch and attaching to the magnet . . . .

• Posted

I've had mri's since and was of no concern. Hydro of any kind after all the drainage has stopped( even the slightest bit). I has several weeks of hydro therapy starting @ the 9 week point after my original tkr. Someone on here a few weeks ago said they were told not to do the breaststroke but don't recall the reasoning behind that.
  • Posted

I've had mri's since and was of no concern. Hydro of any kind after all the drainage has stopped( even the slightest bit). I has several weeks of hydro therapy starting @ the 9 week point after my original tkr. Someone on here a few weeks ago said they were told not to do the breaststroke but don't recall the reasoning behind that.
    • Posted

Think that may havebeen me. . but as I also said, I can't see the reasonaing behind it!  Yes doing that sideways kick typical of the breaststroke is not comfortable, and for that reason I don't do it. I don't think it can be either good or bad . . .but it's a bit like the fact that people are often warned not to twist the knee . . . I just treat mine with a bit of respect, as I want it to last as long as I do!!
  • Posted

Everyone is different. I saw my consultnt after 6 weeks TKR. At that point he said I could go swimming again but not do breast stroke for another 6 weeks. Check this out with yor consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.