Swimming and week later ill

Posted , 3 users are following.

does anyone get ill from the swimming pool at gy, i recenty joined to try and chill, but only went in pool for 5 mins then hot tub and steam room, 4 days later ill. Freezing then burning up. And not felt well at all since tuesday(swam friday). I remembered then that this used to happen in the past. can anyone explin why? am ok on holiday in pools.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nichola,

I ended up ill for 10 days after going swimming last time (approx a year ago) I hardly swam, did gentle stretches in the pool and paced myself . was in about 25 minutes. The physio explained that I had done too much. swimming exercises all your muscles and the water drag , as you swim, has an impact too. On top of this, many people with this condition have sensitivity to chemicals/smells/noise. You may have this too? the chlorine perhaps?

Life with cfs/me is often an experiment and it could be if you did less at the pool you could be ok but getting the right balance is trial and error. Maybe you feel ok on holiday because the levels of chlorine etc are different?

It is frustrating as I know from my own experience you can't always pin down the cause and have to ' ride out ' the symptoms.

Beverley

• Posted

yes it could well be the chlorine, and going from the cold water to hot tub/steam room thats done it. feeling pretty rubbish now, just got to ride the storm as you say now till it passes. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Nichola,

It is horrible to feel so rubbish when you did something you hoped would make you feel better. Hope it passes soon.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi All,

interesting posts on s/pools

had an operation to remove tonsils, and a few wks later took the young

kids to local pool, I had not been swimming for several yrs,

yet 3wks later developed the symptoms of cfs/me

I am fairly sure I picked up this illness at s/pool as body was still low from op

my lifestyle up to that point was working seven days a wk, then I had to change

jobs working on computer as long as I could throughout the day,

would be very interested in anyone else suspecting pools caused health

problems, or picking this illness up after even a minor op,

• Posted

Hi Mike ,

I know of another woman who got cfs/me from a minor operation for spur removal in her shoulder.

Beverley

• Posted

its done this so many times, i think the water in pools are cool and in ME WE CANT REGULATE TEMP, so i think it causes a viral illness which triggers ME

For me it happens when i go from cold water to say a hot tub or steam room

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.