Swimming pool and lichen sclerosis

Posted , 20 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I was diagnosed with LS last year finally after months of tests etc. I also have IBS and had been depressed before I retired. I joined an aqua aerobics group which I really enjoyed and it did wonders for my well being. Unfortunately my LS keeps flaring up and I don't know whether it is the water in the swimming pool which is aggravating it or just something I have to accept. Does anybody else have a similar experience? When it is at its worst, I stop going to the pool but then really miss the exercise and social aspect. Any ideas anybody?

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done Hanny for all your research. I always believed the ratio was 1 in 1,000, so I was way off the mark. Just goes to show that there are plenty of us around, but sadly so many who have no idea what is wrong with them!

Thank you!

• Posted

can you find a pool that is not treated by chlorine? I think ozone maybe one method....apparently some private pools use other means.

I hope you can begin the exploration for your cure. I've had some improvement by avoiding all chemicals and following a NUTRIENT DENSE diet excluding gluten, taking only fermented organic unpasteurised dairy in the form of full fat yoghurt, and organic stilton ...everything organic and chemical-free, working on autoimmunity to heal intestinal permeability 'leaky gut', and addressing my thyroid and hormonal issues. there are a lot of resources out there for your journey into exploring your health. I am sure you will get there. Thinking of you let me know how you get on.

love marey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

• Posted

Many areas in the US have switched from chlorine pools to salt water pools.
    • Posted

hi mary 

thats great...very enlightened. we mostly have chlorine in the public baths here in the uk...but some private places purify via ozone i gather.

love marey xx

• Posted

Hi everyone,

For some reason I had difficulties responding to your messages.  But all of a sudden it works again.  So here it goes...

Donna in Vancouver:  De doctor's name is Elizabeth Stewart.  I hope you can find her. And ... please let me know about the group your are forming in BC.

Hanny.

• Posted

chlorine in swimmimg pools is one of three halogen gases....together with bromine now in commercial baking products it replaces iodine in our bodies. But if you wipe some iodine onto your skin when drying off that would help. Personally I'm looking in to getting a filter for the shower as think chlorine is a significantly detrimental chemical that I want to try to remove and that is contributing to my low thyroid.. 
  • Posted

Hi everyone - I am 67 years old and live in Cape Town in SA. So glad to know that there are others out there who know how I feel! I was diagnosed with L.S. 6 months ago - although I am sure I have had this condition for about 4 years.  Barking - I am in exactly the same position - I have been in the aqua aerobics class for 15 years and was heartbroken at having to get out of the pool. My gynae's answer to all my questions is a stock answer : "work out a regime that's best for you " - between the cortisone, the burning and the tears - I am slowly finding my way! I am going to try the "barrier cream" - although most of the brand names and cortisone creams/ointments mentioned are not available here - I'll try Vaseline. Does anyone know Sudocreme - any use?  I am going to take the plunge and be back in the aqua class soon! It's good for my soul! 

Happy ppainfree, burnfree, itchfree day to all L.S. sufferers 

• Posted

Hi there AZM - I am 62 and live in the UK.  I have gone back to aqua aerobics as it is now the only exercise which I can enjoy and feel that it is doing me some good! I use Vaseline as a barrier cream which I put on in the shower just before I go into the pool. I then use Dermol 200 straight after I get out and shower. It is a shower emollient and seems quite gentle - I ahve used Sudocreme but it seems quite glutinous and greasier than most things. I am still using Clob(etasol) once a day - usually at tnight and this seems to be controlling the itch and burn at least, but the fusion of my bits underneath is quite worrying now. I have an appt with my gyny/dermy next week, so I'll report back.

Morrell - you always give such sound and reassuring advice - I feel that I know you well! Thank you for making this nasty affliction more tolerable and less frightening.

• Posted

A miracle cream you can buy through the internet fron UK is emuaidmax.  It will Bring you great relief and is very safe. It is a homeopathic product. 
  • Posted

Hello Barking and all.  Your conversationall seems to have finished more than a year ago, so I'm not usre if any of you are still out there?

I was diagnosed yesterday after seeking an explanation for the soreness and itchiness I always seemd to experience after a trip to a chlorinated pool.  Like Barking's aqua aerobics, I had been really enjoying a session of swimming lessons learning how to refine and improve my front crawl, but I have had to give them up sad

I'm hoping I can start again once I've got it under control with the cream. What barrier creams would be best to use?  I live in the UK (west)

Thanks in advance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.