Swimming pools

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi.  I had a splenectomy in August '16 due to haemolytic anaemia.I've had all vaccinations & take Erythromicin every day. I was told by my hospital consultant to avoid swimming pools. I'm going to the Canary Islands next week & am staying in a private villa with a pool. I asked my GP if if it was ok to dange my feet in the pool & he looked at me as if i was mad. He'd never heard of anyone being told to avoid pools & i wondered if anybody else has been given this advice. Also curious as to what others have been told to avoid.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Never told to avoid swimming pools.

Told to avoid: India, Africa, undercooked meat, pets (dog saliva), cape cod. Go figure!

• Posted

Yep. Told about malarial countries & dog bites. Nothing about meat though.

• Posted

Thank you. Will definitely be as careful as possible.
    • Posted

Wheelo, 

Sounds like you are in the US also. I've just had my spleen removed and would love to connect with someone who I might be able to talk to about this. It's all new and I'm terrified! 

• Posted

Hi,

happy to help in any way I can although I am in Europe - Ireland to be more precise. What do you want to talk about?

• Posted

Thank you Wheelo, very kind of you. How long have you been without a spleen and how has it impacted you life? Also, are you on daily antibiotics

Cheers, Amber

• Posted

Nearly 20 years since my accident. I suppose it has made me appreciate my health more and to look after myself better. On a pracical level

I get the pneumococcal / meningococcal vaccine every 5 years - here is a new meningococcal spetecemia vaccine I now also get

I get the flu vaccine every autumn (Fall)

I take slow release antibiotics daily as a preventative measure and always have extra available to double dose if unwell.

I see my doctor at least once a quarter and get my bloods done once a year

I eat well and exercise, I wash my hands regularly - though not excessively, I try to avoid people with colds and flu.

Other than that life is pretty much as it was -  I do get bouts of tiredness - but maybe I'm just getting older!

I avoid dogs, undercooked meat, sick people and certain parts of the world. For me it is always a consideration but it does not define me or how I live my life. It is completely managable.   

• Posted

Thank you so much Wheelo. I appreciate all the information. I'm still terrified

but I'm trying very hard to reel it in. I know that I have to get back to living. 

Do the antibiotics mess with your stomach or digestion? My doctors don't want me on daily antibiotics so that kind of scares me. 

• Posted

Hi Amber - I had mine Splenectomy not long ago and I am not on any daily antibiotics. For some reason, in the US doctors only prescribe antibiotics as needed but not on a daily bases. I am assuming doctors in the US like to give your body a chance to make other organs do the job of the spleen and only help with antibiotics when your body needs help.

I have been without a spleen for about a month now and can't even tell the difference so far.

• Posted

Hi. I was advised to avoid people who are ill. The vaccines ive had pneumovac 5 yearly. Meningitis c. B and hib meningitis. Yearly flu. Family have dogs and I go to the pool and swim in the sea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.