Swimming with LS

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is it safe to swim in chlorinated pools? Salt water pools? Lakes? The ocean?

I love the water, but I am terrified!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've always felt like the ocean helped mine some. The others didn't seem to matter, but I'd think chlorine would be the one to affect it if any. But I've never specifically noticed issues with any of the above.

• Posted

I always use aquaphor as a barrier and have avoided water as much as possible now but have three little kids so have had to swim here and there. So far so good but try to limit my time in the water and try to get out of suit asap
  • Posted

Hi. I have no trouble swimming in the pool or sea 
  • Posted

Hi

I swim once a week at swimming pool and have noticed that chlorine can cause bit of irritation at times. But I always shower once Im home. A barrier cream is a good idea too. Swimming in the sea should help it as salt water has healing properties.

K

• Posted

I swam recently in a chlorinated pool for first time since diagnosed with LS and haven't had any problems

• Posted

Hi there,

I have LS for over twenty years. Most of the time it's been under control and manageable but last year when I was under great stress and also working in a hot climate (travel, heat and stress seem to be common triggers), it became intolerable and I was bedside myself.

I have always been a swimmer, every day in my local (chlorinated) pool and I was teeeified that I would have to stop.

But this apparently wasn't a factor and I am back to regular swimming again.

When things were really bad I changed my mattress, my washing powder, threw out anything that wasn't cotton, stopped eating meat and all diary, no alcohol and also trying to be gluten free.

So now I have no idea which of these things have caused my LS to be in remission! But I'm delighted that my life is more or less back to normal.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I have found that I have a flare up after swimming (sea, river or chloride/salt pool). I am not sure if it is the water itself or the friction. Barrier cream helps but not for the friction of the costume.

I think everyone is different so you just need to give it a go. Do get out of your costume as quickly as possible once finished swimming and get dry and comfortable.

Sands xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.