Switch from Cymbalta to Sertraline

Posted , 4 users are following.

Cymbalta seem to not work as it should. Have been on it 9 weeks and I still feel anxious. 

Have any of you switched from Cymbalta to sertraline (which is the medicine I got first time I had anxiety)? 

Any help would be appreciated! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi yes you can certainly switch to something else if cymbalta is not working for you,  i have had good success with sertraline in the past myself and (personally) found that one didn't give me troublesome side effects

it seems to be commonly reported that you should generally know if cymbalta is working for you (or is going to work for you), after a month or so of taking it.  you have given it 9 weeks so have to wonder if it is going to ever ease your anxiety.  it may, if you want to keep going, but if you dont want to, there are plenty of other meds and things to try so go back and speak to your doctor

if you are not having much luck after 9 weeks you are certai

• Posted

hi again, ignore the last line of my reply above, it was a typing error
    • Posted

Dear Jones,

Thank you for your reply. I switched to Sertraline 10 days ago (and upped rather quickly to 125 mg today from 100 mg) and boy, am I struggling. Upset stomach, jittery feeling (even after taking a benzodiazepine) and the worst: increased anxiety all the time.

As you’ve tried Sertraline can you  me if you experienced the same? 

• Posted

hi monna,

when i took sertraline in the past i never took more than 100mg myself (if i remember i stayed on 100mg rather than go up further.  everyone is different though, some people need more, some people need less)

it's tricky getting on the right dose of any med.  too little a dose and it may not be enough to tackle depression and anxiety,  but too much of a med and it can make you feel unwell with increased side effects etc

for you it sounds like (which i appreciate because i have done it myself in the past), you want your depression/anxiety to go away as soon as possible so you are rushing things and perhaps increasing your dose too quickly

the problem is your anxiety can go through the roof if you are putting too much of a med in your system without giving your body time to adjust.  that could be what is happening to you at the moment

sertraline can take 4-8 weeks to get going so you do need to try to have some patience

perhaps you could go to 100mg for another week?  thats a really good normal adult amount to take especially early on in the treatment.  you might find your side effects as well as your anxiety settle down if you back to 100mg, at least for a week or two

finally, its good news (even though i appreciate it doesnt feel like it) that you are getting some of the early side effects, because this means the med is getting to work and your body is going through adjustments (which make you feel like crap), but when the adjustments have settled down, you will feel much better.  until then its just the usual case of looking after yourself so eating well, no junk food, get outside each day even if you dont feel like it, and do things to occupy yourself

you'll feel better soon ok

• Posted

Hi!  Just wondered how things were going on your switch.  I am on 60 mg of duloxetine right now and I am also thinking of going back to sertraline as I felt better and slept better on it.  The duloxetine isn't really helping my pain, anyway.  How did you switch?  Did you go wean down from the one and then go to the next?  

• Posted

Hi I was on 200mg of setrline and was changed to dyloxtine 60 I had 7 out of 10 side effect self harm took a overdose so the phychatris has put me back to sterile 50mg for 2 weeks then 100mg it's day two and I am feeling really low and angry. I hate all this medication change I just want to feel a bit normal. I'm also take pregablin and clonzplaim . I feel everyone pain and don't think their is enough help. I look to going private but was £300 just for consultant

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.