Switch from Efexor to Generic Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been taking Efexor 375mg daily for several years. when I collected my recent prescription, the brand was Vencarm and I was told the local CCG has blacklisted Efexor as it is too expensive and they now have to prescribe Vencarm which is much cheaper. I was willing to give it a go but I have relapsed and am currently off work due to this. has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hello, how are you taking ven, what doses and how often during the day?

• Posted

hello, how are you taking ven, what doses and how often during the day?

• Posted

Hi. I take 2 x 150mg and a 75mg modified release capsules in the morning.

• Posted

hello, sorry, for some reason i misunderstood. i thought you meant you gone from modified to immediate release.

i take immediate release ven, in the uk you accept whatever brand the chemist has, and it seems to be a different one every time. ive not noticed any difference with immediate release.

from reading posts on here, a fair few people have had the same problem with extended release. then again most people take extended release.

one person said she changed brand, had issues, and found undigested capsules in her poo. if the capsule used and method of giving the extended release isnt releasing all, little or no ven, it would have a dramatic effect.

i found it hard to believe different brands would make that much difference, but it does for a number of people on here.

what has your doctor suggested?

• Posted

I experienced withdrawal effects for roughly 10 days switching from effexor to a generic. In fact even just changing generics would trigger withdrawal. I would suggest waiting for a week or two until you're adjusted to the new generic and then stick to it. In the meantime you could see your doctor to see if they can prescribe anything to help. I used Clonazepam for the withdrawal anxiety and insomnia.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I have been taking it now for 6 weeks though. taking Propranolol for the anxiety element.

• Posted

just an idea. extended release tablets are supposed to last for 24 hours. however, they dont, are designed to either, as different people metabolize ven at different rates. you could try splitting the dose, so you take one 150mg capsule, 12 hours after your first dose. that would even out the supply of ven in your body.

you need to discuss it with your doctor.

• Posted

that's a good idea. my GP basically said there was no difference whatsoever between brand and Generic, I was on the max dose and to refer myself to psych services.

• Posted

okay. thats what doctors and pyscs think. they dont think brands differ, and spreading out the dose makes any difference. a reasonable no of people on here do. i thought the same, how can they be that different, but enough people on here made me change my mind. i know from experience, that spreading out the dose is better, to give a more even supply of the medication, even with the same brand and extended release, let alone changing to a different brand.

• Posted

i thought problems with changing brands, especially extended release in capsules, was more likely to do with how quickly or slowly, the different capsules break down, and how they deliver the ven, than whats actually in the ven. that could tie up with the issue being temporary, until you get used to the change.

• Posted

It's certainly worth a try. really appreciate your replies.

• Posted

One thing I'd say in relation to doctors and other health professionals - they don't understand these drugs comprehensively and are playing catch up. When I was in the UK 10 years ago and was suffering from withdrawal they told me it was just anxiety and there is no withdrawal from SSRI's or SNRI's. Now there are lots of studies that show that withdrawal occurs.

Same issue with these brands vs generic1 vs generic2. We're the guinea pigs and eventually they'll learn from our (painful) experiences.

• Posted

bit will they? they're not interested in how it affects us, their profit margins are more important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.