switched citalopram manufacture brands not doing well

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 43. And I tried to come down off of 40 mg of citalopram on my own 4 months ago. Came off to fast and left me in a bad mess. My psychologist upped me to 60mg to stabilize and then to bring me down gradually. I was initially taking a generic brand from a clinic by my home town(40mg) and she prescribed me some 20mg of a different manufacture by (dr. Reddy)and like a dumb butt I used the two together to make the 60mg. I ran out of the 20mg of dr. Reddys and supplemented the other by epic pharma to continue the 60mg. The next evening I experienced light headedness and anxiety. I've quit taking the one by epic pharma and switched to using the one by dr. Reddy. After seeing posts that said you could in fact experience a set back from switching manufacturer brands. That was teo days ago and not feeling the anxiety but empathy and depressed. My question is, is how long before this evens out? I know 60 mg is not used anymore. But this was for a short duration to stabilize and bring me back down. Need some input hopefully positive please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Short time or not nothing over 40mg of citalopram is used cause it is not safe! Any change in medicine will take 4-6 weeks to level out.
  • Posted

Generally what happens when a drug becomes older the company looses the exclusive manufacture of the drug. Other manufacturers will make that drug that will be a great deal cheaper than the original medication. The original medication will keep the name and the new producer will make a basic copy of the drug, a great deal cheaper the original drug, the copy is the generiac. There can de differences including the colour or the medication. They should be both the same and the carrier may be different. That makes no difference to the actual active ingreadients.

I take a medication that is now made by various companies, the colour of the capsul can be from white to light blue in colour, my Wife complains that she has to watch what colour this capsul is, sometimes the colour can be different in different countries. The content of the medication is the same just a great deal cheaper as they have not paid for the actual reseach to make the drug. Some people feel they are not getting the quality drug from the original manufacturer. The white medication is the same as the blue drug, generally it is the customer who thinks they are getting second best, both are the same baring the carrier of the medication.

• Posted

The maximum dose you can take in the UK is 40mg as set by the Drugs Regulator.  You should see your doctor again.

That's interesting you mention changing brands and you're not feeling so good, as I've heard many people say this.  Apparently though the inactive ingredients can vary (that's the outer shell), the active ingredients should be the same.  Maybe some people are more sensitive to the ingredients?

I learnt something from the TV only this week about painkillers and other medicines: On the box there is a PL number - if its exactly the same as your other box, despite the difference in manufacturers, then the ingredients should be the same.

On the other hand if you came off meds 4 months ago and have already been put back onto 60mg since, then not only have you come off too quick but it may be that you've restarted back on to high a dose too quick.  Your body is bound to react to all the chopping and changing.  When reintroducing medication, it should only be a small amount.

You should speak to your doctor and discuss about reducing to a safer, smaller dose - you'll eventually stabilise.  When everything has settled, only then should you restart withdrawal with your doctor.  I came off recently, taking a year to do so, which was done by 5mg reductions each time.  Doing is this gradual I had no withdrawal effects at all.

K x

• Posted

Thanks katecogs. I never came off the meds just tried to come off to quickly after running out 4 months ago. I realize now that putting me up to 60 was not the right move. I could've went up only to 45, stabilized and then came down. Does this manufacture switch even out eventually?

• Posted

Ah, that can happen.  Yes reintroducing them is probably best done with small amounts to ease back onto them again.  They will even out eventually - just give them time to settle again.

Most of us have learnt the hard way with these meds though ..... me too.

• Posted

Hi katecogs. I'm still not spitting out the right words. Sorry. I was on 40 mg of citalopram manufactures by epic pharma and taking 20 mg of citalopram manufactured by dr. Reddy. To make a total of 60 mg. I've sinced learned that I shouldn't have done that. When I ran out of the 20 mg of dr. Reddy I replaced it with 20 mg of the epic pharma citalopram since I had extra of it. That is when about 40 hours later I experienced the light headedness and the next day I was a mess. I've since started taking the full 60mg from the dr. Reddy brand. That was four days ago. Still feeling rough. Will I even out? Or stabilize?

• Posted

I just need some advice and words of encouragement. Just want feel normal again and my family to enjoy me again.
    • Posted

You will do in time ....... 

Doesn't matter which brand you take, 60mg is too high here in the UK - 40mg is the max.  Over that can cause a serious health risk - check it out reports online.  It might be that this high dose has caused light headedness maybe?  Do check the dose with your doctor.

A large dose doesn't mean you'll get better any quicker than a smaller one.  Often people struggle with it being too high and then spend more time reducing it and waiting for it to settle.

I recovered on 20mg ... that's a third less than you're taking.

But you will feel normal again and enjoy things as you used to.  It feels never ending on the meds and you can't see beyond the illness ... but it will happen.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.