Switched from Duloxetine to Sertraline.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Basically my anxiety started 5 years ago and i tried therapy, exercise but it didn't work so started Antidepressants my first was one Prozac had 3 great years then it stopped working. Doctor tried Effexor, Mirtazapine then finally Duloxetine all made me worse after waiting 6 - 12 weeks.

Now basically I told the Doctor I wanted to go back to an [SSRI] as it seems my body just don't tolerate [SNRI] antidepressants.

So I am 5 days into Sertraline I am getting tolerable side effects Nausea, Brain fog(Very minor) bouts of Increased anxiety but feel about 60% better since stopping duloxetine.

So my question is this normal to get side effects on a switch and how long till my body levels out on the new med [Sertraline].

Sorry for the long message and God Bless all of you in the struggle!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam

i think generally speaking you get side effects if you just start taking Sertraline and you are not switching from something else anyway. my symptoms didnt last long at all, about a week or so.

Great that you are feeling around 60% better!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! ive had a few side effects so far stomach cramps/noises, bouts of Increased anxiety, headaches so I'm guessing it's all to do with sert im on day 10 of 50mg I wanna try and go aslong as I can before increasing.

• Posted

How are you doing? Its a long journey for me. 3 months in and still feel anxious but am trying to stay positive!!!! Everyone reacts differently, I am just hoping it helps me further down the line !

• Posted

Hi Sam, how are you feeling now?

I switched from Prozac many years ago to Sertraline, I had mild side effects for a week or 2 and I adjusted to the medication fairly easily, however, the second time I started taking Sertraline just over 2 months ago I've had many of the horrible side effects and it's been a roller coaster ride of several good days and several bad. Everyone is different and adapts to medication differently, hang on in there with the Sertraline and give it a fair amount of time, hopefully it will start working for you soon. All the best and be kind to yourself...

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I am feeling awful today tbh [Day 10] just constant headaches and most of all stomach is like a party going on lol strangest noises, but I'm gonna hang on and ride it out I've read do many good reviews about this med that I think its wise to try and ride it out!

• Posted

You will feel better soon, the anxiety cannot hurt you, but it sure is scary at times. If you are able to, I find that going for walks and using mindfulness techniques really help. Accepting that the symptoms are only temporary will help reduce worrying about them that could cause you more distress...

I wish you well, stay positive, you've got this 👍

• Posted

Hi there. Your reply to Sam is so reassuring. I agree that accepting anxiety is the best way although I find it hard! I get anxious about anxiety coming on if that makes sense?

I am 3 months in and I felt good for a week or so but my anxiety is worse again...I am hoping its because I have just gone up to 150mg from 100. Trying to be patient!

How are u doing?

• Posted

Hi, I totally get you regarding feeling anxious about anxiety, it's a horrible thing to go through, so we tend to worry ourselves into an anxious state about it. It's easier said than done, but we need to try reassuring ourselves that the symptoms will pass.

I have felt good days and bad whilst adjusting my dosages. each increase needs another 6-8 weeks to reach it's therapeutic level.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have been reading up a lot on these forums and yes it seems that a lot of people agree that each increase takes a fair amount of time so I will be patient. I am just a bit disappointed that the doc recommended Sertraline as in the past Citalopram has really helped much quicker! She said Sert was better for anxiety tho.

I hope you are having a good day. I agree with your previous message that everyone reacts differently to the meds.

I actually feel a bit brighter this morning, hoping that it is a small sign things are going to be ok!

Thanks again 😃

• Posted

Sorry for the delay in replying to you...

Yes, having better days are more than glimmers of hope that the medication is starting to work, they are very positive! You will have a few waves of good days and low days where you feel like you are back to square one. Don't let those down days get to you, as they will become less and less frequent over time. It helps me massively to accept the down days instead of analysing them, as this will normally lead to frustration and worry that will slow recovery down.

I wish you the very best...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.