Switched from lisinopril 10mgs to hydrochlorothiazide 25mgs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve tried almost every class of BP medicine there’s is. Started with amlodipine...horrible side effects that sent me to ER 3x. Changed to atenolol, even worse side effects. Then I took hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg but it wasn’t enough to bring BP down. Finally found lisinopril and after 8 happy months, I’ve got the dreaded cough. Cough so bad that I couldn’t talk at work (I’m on the phone a lot for work).

Doctor decided to try hydrochlorothiazide again but at 25 mgs because she felt losartan would be too strong and side effects from that may hit me hard. 

Per the doctor, ok to stop lisinopril cold and I am now on day 3 of hydrochlorothiazide with high BP (139/95) and rapid resting heart rate (105). Headaches, dizziness and feeling foggy. Would this just be temporary since coming off one and starting another? I want to give it a few more weeks but I to feel better again. I’m almost ready to just deal with the coughing and get back on lisinopril so that my BP is stable.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Theresa0669,  I took lisinopril for over 3 years and the cough began approximately 2 years after taking it along with other side effects that are debilitating and those side effects began over 2 years into taking lisinopril too.  Sometimes I wonder if it was the dye in the brand of the lisinopril I was taking (orange dye), but I had pharmacist get a white pill in the lisinopril for me and no luck with that...I too ended up in hospital after first time of taking hydroclorothiazide and amlodipine.  Felt faint and my head and face got extremely hot inside that made me feel faint.  My BP went up very high also and I learned I had a salt deficiency which required IV's.    I think i can't take anything in the traditional medications for BP, too many horrible side effects with each one.  I'm down to 5mg of lisinopril and today I'm trying not to take any lisinorpil due to inflamed and painful joints knees and where arms meet body...I'm looking into changing and adding to my diet fruits and vegetables, began exercising; do deep breathing for rapid heart rate which does work, but must be patient with it and take klonopin, helps a great deal .5mg 2x a day.  I feel better not taking anything so that's what i'm doing; makes perfect sense to me...i had the cough pretty bad too and i don't want to deal with it because what's it doing to my throat ?  My BP is basically high with doctors and in hospital (white coat syndrome). I even have considered taking/trying some natural supplements sold on Amazon; they get excellent reviews and I asked my doctor about one of them and he wouldn't help me out and made fun of me for it so I don't plan on going back to him.  See if your doctor is open to helping you with supplements or diet which they say helps a great deal.. There's a diet called the DASH diet for treating High Blood pressure; check into it or just healthier ways of eating and see what you think.  I can't seem to take any meds except for tylenol and klonopin which has not been addicting for me so that's what I'll stick with since it works...Good luck to you and talk to your doctor about it...PS:  My BP is pretty good first thing in morning; maybe it's the people around us making it go up...lol...seriously or our jobs...smile

• Posted

my pressure 152 / 102

pulse rate 120

went to dr., she put me in energency

Atrium and ventricles moving independently

dr. did ablation

going to have by ventricle ICD.

no more Losartan

• Posted

You should not keep switching medications, that will mess up your health system, because the health system depends on medications over time, and adjusts to the medication taken.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.