Switching from Cipralex (Lexapro) to Zoloft

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello guys... I had my first panic attack 1,5 years ago and after a month I decided to see a therapist.. She prescribed cipralex (lexapro) 10mg/day and even though the first week was hell I managed to overcome the side effects with a little help of xanax.

However the one side effect that never went away is the 24/7 light headedness... I mean its not vertigo, nothing is spinning OUTSIDE, everything is spinning INSIDE my head... So after a LOT of blood tests, MRIs, ENT visits/tests, eye tests etc she decided that it was from the drug and she told me that Zoloft would be a good replacement.

However since I remember how cipralex started I am so afraid of taking the new med...

First of all, can I start it immediately or do I have to wait for Cipralex to get out of my system?

Also does anyone here have taken both of them to tell me any differences?

Im gonna ask my therapist of course but I want to relax for now until the appointment.

Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

HI mike33466 I was on lexapro for close to 14 years and just recently switched to zoloft. My pdoc had me wean off lexapro while introducing small doses of Zoloft. Started at 25mg for 5 then 50mg for 5 days then I started weaning down from 10mg lexapro to 5mg for 5 days then100mg of Zoloft and lexapro 5mg every other day then Zoloft 125mg and stopped lexapro. Now I am at 150mg of Zoloft for the past 2 weeks. I have to admit I was pretty scared about doing this but it worked out well. I think it really helped with the start up side effects of Zoloft. My main side effects where dizziness,nausea which I still have off and on and feeling jittery. My anxiety was kinda high anyway cause the lexapro stopped working for me but am doing better on the Zoloft. Hope this is helpful..Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Hi Mike - I recently switched from Cipralex to Zoloft. I fist started Cipralex in 2010 at 10mg and I remember having dizziness as well. I began to take Ginko Biloba which really helped for the dizziness. In 2012 it seems like the Cipralex pooped out. I tried to go to 20mg but it didn't help. I was then put on Effexor, than Paxil and Trintellex. None worked. I tried to go back on Cipralex with no success. 6 Weeks ago I switched to Zoloft. Yes I had to taper down and then I started Zoloft and increased from 25 to 150mg. I'm definitely better on the Zoloft although there have been some really big bumps along the way. Today is a great day while yesterday was one of my worst days. I've only been on 150 for 7 days so it will take a few more weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.