Switching from citalopram to effexor

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I was on paxil for depression and anxiety for a long time, on a high dose, which stopped working, and im on week 10 on citalopram. Seen my Doctor, it doesnt look like cit is working, and im going to see a physciatrist for a diagnosis and recommendation for a new anti depressant. It's likely I will be offered effexor (venlafaxine). Has anyone gone onto effector, after ssris stopped or were not working, and did it make much difference? Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my son started venlafaxine in December, after taking sertraline.  The concerns after three months is that he hasn’t had any benefits from taking it, has become less motivated and agitated.  We have had three dose increases during this time. I want him to come off it...unfortunately the side effects are not great when decreasing it.  I would recommend having a thorough discussion prior to taking this medication.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. I might not have much choice. Ssris don't seem to have worked, and I think the other types make you drowsy. I will have a good discussion with the physciatrist before deciding. Thanks.

• Posted

Yes, it worked for me after trying citalopram and other med as well that did not have an effect after some weeks, but the side effects are horrible and it's difficult to come off it - as you can read in this forum!

I personally don't recommend it at all. If I had known what I read in this forum I would have never taken it.

Unless, of course, you are totally desperate...

• Posted

Thanks. I'm not sure how desperate I am. It looks like ssris don't work for me any more. I've got a couple more weeks on cit, would be nice if they started working. Will leave it to physciatrist to decide. Will have a read through this forum. I take it you are still on it? I'm not too bothered about coming off it, happy to stay on it, if it works. Thanks.

• Posted

Please go also to the FB page - it is just excellent, full of really great information. I got the hint here and joined the group.
  • Posted

Hi.

ssris didn't work for me either, Ive been on venaflaxine for 18 months now and personally they have literally saved my life, I've gone from someone who was unable to leave the house due to anxiety, acutely depressed, to someone who is back at work part time and enjoying life for the first time!

yes I have put on weight and to begin with I had awful night sweats, but in my opinion a small price to pay.

i haven't tried coming off them yet, so I can't comment, I think I'll be on them long term.

good luck.

• Posted

Hi sonia08841 - I have recently started on Venlafaxine for anxiety/agoraphobia. Can I ask what dose you are taking please? I have just increased to 150mg a day, but haven't felt much improvement yet.

• Posted

I think going onto venlafaxine fully informed is vital.  Some people have responded very well, some not so much, knowing how long it may take to have a positive response vs being told after 2 months that it’s not even at therapeutic level and going into the third month with increased adverse effects has been disheartening. 

Our next step as far as I can see is to come off it which will again be a very slow process with possible nasty withdrawal side effects.  Something I was not fully aware prior to my son starting.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.