Switching from Citalopram to Escitalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

My name is Andrea Nurse and today I decided to switch from Cit 10mg to Escitalopram 10mg per my Dr.

Allow me to share some of my history. I started on Citalopram in 1999 after a severe case of post partum with the birth of my third and severe anxiety due to the turn of the century and being convinced the world was ending.

I never had PP with my other children ages 6 and 4 and this hit me so hard all I could do was lay in bed and cry. My husband had to call in help because I had no interest in caring for our children, him or even myself. I just laid in bed waiting to die.

My Dr put me on Paxil which sent me into a whirlwind of worse emotions. I had plenty of friends that were successful on Paxil so this rose my anxiety level further convincing me I was stuck like this. The next thing she put me on was citalopram and shared that it could take weeks to work so be patient. I lived the next 5 weeks in emotionless hell. I truly wanted to die but didn’t want to die if that makes sense.

During that 5 weeks I went on my first Disney Cruise with my husband, kids and I laws. Before all of this I had been so excited for this trip but did not enjoy it at all. I watched as my husband and three kids along with my inlaws had such an amazing time. I wished that I could be as happy as they were but just couldn’t conjure those feelings.

After getting back home I returned to work which I had always loved however now it was now utter hell everyday.

I can't remember the exact day it happened but I remember finally waking up and feeling happy again. It took about 8 weeks but finally I felt like me again and grew stronger and stronger.

That lasted for 19 years before I relapsed.

Today I am retired at the early age of 47,just bought a new house across from the beach, I am planning my daughters wedding,have a son that reached a huge dream goal of playing professional baseball and my younger daughter just moved to oregon which has been a major dream for her. Everything is falling into place and I was extremely content, excited for my future and ready to have the best times of my life.

I received a call in September from my brother stating that my mom had maybe 24 hours to live. I was sad and devastated but handled it well I thought.

I pack up and rushed home to Ct the very next day. Long story short I stayed three weeks by her side everyday and shes still alive 6 weeks later and showing improvement.

So while there I ran out of my Citalproam and I was off it for a full week. I felt absolutely fine no issues at all but I immediately got back on when I got home.

On day three of being back on I woke up a complete empty shell. I went into complete panic mode. I literately went to bed happy and ready for vacation (another cruise)and woke up an empty shell, dead inside.

This has lasted 24 long days. It’s been hell!! Way worse then the last time. There have been periods where I just wanted to die. I felt no emotions other then fear.

My Dr told me to stick it out a few more weeks but I just can’t do it because I feel like I’m losing my mind.

She put me on Escitalopram 20 mg but starting me on half pills.

I took my first 10mg today. I didn’t wean off the Cit since Escitalopram is in Cit and essentially the same drug.

I immediately felt panic and stomach pain that lasted an hour and then for the first time in weeks I felt relief. Not a ton but enough to go out to the store and stay focused. I know the bad will be back but I’m praying this will work.

Anyone else have similar issues and have to change from Citalopram to Escitalopram that can share stories.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.