switching from citalopram to venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

please help me guys. i am frightened i must say. a  psychiatrist and two different g.p's have each said that they want me to taper from 40mg of citalipram over two short weeks. i am on day 5 of  20mg of cit, emotionalm frightened, a  little 'drunk' in a  strange sort of way, like im in a  dream, no brain zaps, just utter fear. and in 3 days time i am to go from 20mg of cit down to zero just overnight. i am then to spend 7 further days at zero before switching across to venlafaxine. does anyone know anything about this? have you heard of this method? is it something you have gone through yourself? does anyone feel able to reassure me? cause judging by the stuff i have read on the net over 1 16 month period i am expecting to go through hell on earth when i go from 20mg straight to zero  withouta  gentle 12 week taper. the dcotors have told me to be strong and focused but they have never had to cope with the desperation of withdrawal and i have done it oh so many times to be one tiny bit confident about it. can anyone reassure me or show me some confidence? i will be alone doing this. i have 9 days off work coming up and i will go cold  to zero mg on day 1 but i am going to be doing this alone without a  support network or family or friends to talk to. and i dont mind telling you i feel  like crying i am so frightened. 43 year old care worker here. smart and wise but a  real negative thinker and i cant tell you how scared i am. i am doing this because after 20 years of alcohol addiction i opt for a  better life and my psychiatrist think i would be far happier and less anxious on venlafaxine than i am on cit. please help if you can. i adore people and love life so so much. i know the next  9 days or more could be hell on earth but im frighetend i wont cope or may have a  seizure. xx peace out nick.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hello nick it's a tricky situtation because we are not doctors here and nobody would want to give you bad advice. that's not to say doctors dont always get it right either though

i had a look around the internet, perhaps you could give that a try, regarding switching from citalopram to venlafaxine.  also if you join the venlafaxine forum and ask there if anyone has switched from citalopram to venlafaxine, perhaps they can let you know how their transition was and if their method of switching went well

i dont want to give bad advice but it does seem odd that the doctors want to give it 7 days of no meds before starting venlafaxine.  from my looking around the internet i dont see any reports of the need to do that.   what i did see was recommendations of getting down to 20mg of citalopram and then once at that stage, stop citalopram and begin venlafaxine, starting slowly.

• Posted

I'm switching from citalopram to sertaline and have been asked to go from 40 down to 20 for 2 weeks and then switch straight over rather than take a break but i know it's different for different drugs. I'll be doing the switch today so have had 2 weeks on 20 and I've had a very similar experience. About 2 days into halving the dose I was having bad panic attacks, not sleeping and constantly crying. I'm feeling a bit better now but still worse off. I'm very worried about the switch and having side effects again because I've been through so much already. Just remember the end goal and your just going to have to ride the wave in the meantime. I would definitely see if you can get some diazepam. I don't even really take them it's just nice knowing that if I get to the point where I've lost control of my anxiety and having an bad attack then they will calm me down almost immediately so having them as a back up just makes me feel better. Just spend this time resting and trying to keep your mind off it even just watching tv or reading a book. Remember that this fear is horrible and really uncomfortable but it's not dangerous it's just a feeling. Use this room to vent if you do have a freak out. People's reassurance is so helpful. X

• Posted

Hi there

Depends on how long you’ve been on Citalopram.

I took them for 16 years and when I came off meds last year I spent a whole year withdrawing and had no withdrawal at all because I’d done it in 5mg reductions with each one lasting 1-2 months.  I came off once before by dropping by 10mg over many months, but I had nasty withdrawal as was too quick.  The year withdrawing was my choice.

If you’ve only taken them for a few weeks (which I’m guessing you haven’t if you’re on 40mg) then it won’t be such a bump.

Personally though I’d be very concerned about coming down from Cit that quick plus having 7 days at zero.  I couldn’t even go 1 day without my 20mg meds as I became very, very sick …. even if I took my meds later in the day than normal.  

If it were me, I’d say no … only because I know how I'd react.

Doctors have told you to be strong?  Really?  Are they offering you a support network too …. because they should be with doing something like this.

I’m not a doctor so can’t advise professionally, but can only do so from years of experience on these.

Why are you swapping meds anyway?

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.