Switching from Effexor to Celexa

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on a number of SSRI's including Lexapro (five years), Zoloft (made me panic), Paxil (was on five years but made me sleep all day), Effexor (I was not myself on it, making wrong decisions and anxiety was still looming), and finally Celexa.  I was taking 75mg of Effexor when the doctor put me on 20mg of Celexa.  He said to start Celexa and take 37.5mg of Effexor with it for one week, then stop. It has been one week.  I have not had any noticeable side effects.  I noticed I wanted to get out more and I even went to the grocery store and walked my dog half way around the lake (which is progress for me).  Today I stopped the Effexor completely and am now only taking Celexa 20mg.  Again, as of right now, no noticeable side effects (good or bad).  Which I consider a good thing.  I will continue to update my experience.  However, recently I have been thinking how it all depends on where you are in life and who you surround yourself with that can increase or even cause your anxiety.  I do understand that some people have it genetically.  I am one of them.  However, I've noticed when I stay away from negative people, and try to fix my current situation, the anxiety does decrease.  Just something to think about.  I think I will need to be on an anti-anxiety medication for the rest of my life due to trauma early in life (Dad and Sister died two months apart from each other when I was 16).  It's something I self medicated with for years with alcohol.  I am over three years sober and trying to face my fears.  I have high hopes for Celexa and will check back with you all.  Happy Friday smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Welcome Money 7.  One couldn’t argue that you don’t have experience with ssri’s seeing your history. My history is 6 yrs Paxil 40mg(completely changed who I was)  citalopram 3 weeks a year ago. Then I tried mirtazipine(made me sleep and moody) sertraline, just two days frightened the crap out of me. Terror like no other ( but that was just me, I know it helps others.  Citalopram since end jan 20mg and now 2 months on 30mg. Citalopram has really eased my anxiety....ruminating thought and panic attacks.  I drink no alcohol and avoid caffeine and advise you to do the same.  I have a bar shelf full of liquors and spirits (cause I like the bottles and DID like the nice drinks inside them but I haven’t touched not even a sip of beer since January. First two months of citalopram for me were proper tough. Couldn’t get out of bed for a month. I was soooo exhausted, limbs like lead etc, anxiety got worse, I was scared of everything.  Tomorrow im on a 2,330 mike flight Fuerteventura for 11 days of mood lifting vitamin D. So I can confirm so far at least that citalopram seems to be doing trick!👍😉 happy Friday to you too! 

• Posted

It's nice to hear how it's working for others. I did really well on citalopram years ago and recently started having panic attacks on mirtazipine so the doctor switched me straight on to citalopram. It's only been a week today but it's been hell and I fear I'll never get back to where I was before but it does give me hope when I hear that others have. I hope u have a fab holiday.

• Posted

Thank you Gemma for your kind words... yes I’m 10 weeks in and feel much less anxious, a little numb perhaps but i’d trade this feeling over the panic and ruminating any day.... hang in there Girl, it does get worse before it gets better xx 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for reading my story, it's a nice community on here smile

Well you certainly don't have to worry about me drinking as I am three and a half years sober. 

But it is extremely good to hear that it gets better with time.  I'm with you on how it eases the anxiety.  It took a couple weeks to kick in and I know it isn't even near kicking in fully.  However, I already feel the anxiety lifted, and depression too!

• Posted

Gemma, hang in there.  I felt the same way you did for the first two weeks of taking Celexa.  I thought "here we go again, another dud" but slowly but surely it started kicking in, keep with it for a lil while longer before you try something else.  Best of luck!

• Posted

I was on Effexor for about a year. I just stopped taking them one day. I took a chance I know...stupid really. Any way i was off AD’s for about two years. About six months ago,  during a consultation with my GP, he mentuioned Citalopram. He said it would handle both the low mood qnd anxiety, bot constant companions. I started on 10 for about 3 months and during a consultation with a Psychiatrist, he said 10 was too low a dose and moved me up to 30 mg. I have been on 30 mgs of Cit. For about 8 weeks. I am always greeted with anxiety in the gut every morning upon awakening. This is also with 30 mg of mirtazapine to sleep. I have been taking this combo at the request of my Psychiatrist. Honesly, I am getting impatient wait for that consistent feeling of optimism and want to takle day with a sense of joy. I have had glimpses that leave as fast as the appear. I plan on giving it anoth 4 weeks and decide. This is a very slow acting med and I am an impatient, grumpy old 69 year old....lol
    • Posted

I know what you mean about waiting for these meds to kick in.  I've tried about five different SSRI's, Zoloft was the only one I didn't give a full chance because it caused immediate panic.  At least with the others, it was my normal anxiety and I knew it was temporary.  Please please hang in there with Celexa, Another four weeks you should see some changes.  But then again, you may not, it may not be the "one" for you.  I know how aggravating it can be trying this and trying that.  If you don't have any pre-existing issues of sleeping in or tiredness, and if the Celexa doesn't work, I would try Paxil.  It was probably the best for my anxiety, but made me sleep all day.  Everyone is different though.  Good luck! smile

• Posted

I would like to update everyone on my progress from switching from Effexor to Celexa.  I am still taking 20mg once a day.  I have noticed quite a few changes.  Number one, when I was on Paxil, then switched to Effexor I would sleep all day.   I would go to bed on a Friday at 10pm, and wouldn't wake up sometimes until 6pm Saturday.  My life felt wasted, I felt horrible.  I can now say, I wake up much earlier.  My body isn't used to it, so my brain tells me to stay in bed longer.  This past Saturday and Sunday, I woke around 8 or 9 a.m. !!! That is serious progress on my end.  Also, while on Paxil, then Effexor, I was never hungry.  This may seem like a good thing to many.  However, I am 5'7 and 145lbs.  145lbs may seem like a lot, but on my frame, it looks "skinny", so I'm glad I got my appetite back.  I get my period in four days, and I haven't had one PMS episode!!! I'm seeing such positive changes.  Also, I'm very calm.  I'm not "euphoric" or anything.  I am just at a steady calm state.  Its difficult going through changes like this when your family and friends are used to you always doing things a certain way. Once I started to feel myself changing, I decided not to fight it.  I let go, to see where this medication will take me.  Well on Saturday, I played my guitar in front of four people!! and I didn't even care who was watching, it was almost like I felt I was by myself (so I did even better!) I am not going to hold onto any of my old ways because my friends or family are not used to it.  I'm growing, humans constantly grow and never forget that.  You are allowed to grow and change and become who you really are, don't let yourself or anyone else stop it.  I did have anxiety the first couple weeks, but I read up on it enough to know that was normal.  Like many say on here, there is no "magic pill" , however, with the right medication, the right people around you, and talking to someone can truly do wonders for your livelihood.  I recommend this medication for anyone who may be suffering from Anxiety, and depression as well.  I think I may have had depression without knowing it.  Because all the things I didn't want to do in the past because I lost interest..........I now want to do! So far, so good Celexa.  18 days in, and I'm reaping the benefits already smile  I kinda am just free writing here, no order at all lol but I wanted to give feedback to anyone who may be in my shoes and doing the same switch.  I'll keep you posted as I progress~.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.