Switching from Losartan to Valsartan?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, Losartan 50 mg (25 mg taken twice daily) recently quit working for me, so I am switching from Losartan to Valsartan 80 mg (initially taken once daily).  Both are ARBs and I understand this is an equivalent dose.  Has anyone ever done this and is there a rebound blood pressure increase or other side effects when switching between these two ARBs? I experienced that when switching from Lisinoprol (ACE inbibitor) to Losartan about one year ago.  Thanks if you have done this amd have perspective.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have done this several times because of manufacturing or similar problems. Sometimes I have experienced slight differences in blood pressure, but it seems to settle down and become stable quite quickly. Currently on Valsartan.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks Betty, I switched this morning.  The Valsartan makes me a little bit dizzy, but that could be from going from twice daily dosing to a single morning dose.  Have you had better luck with either of the two medications?
    • Posted

Valsartan seems to suit me - everyone is different!  Blood pressure went up when I had to suddenly stop another usual medication. Now, settling down as they had to increase my Valsartan slightly. Yes, when I first started on Valsartan I had the odd dizzy spells. If it goes on for long go back and speak to a doctor - they all seem to have different ideas!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.