Switching from Mirtazapine to Fluoxetine...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone has had any experience of switching from Mirtazapine to Fluoxetine? I started taking Mirtazapine two months ago after struggling with insomnia. It became so awful I went to my doctors and they prescribed sleeping pills, Zopiclone. After these didnt work, I felt desperate, and actually suicidal, and my doctor suggested trying Mirtazapine. At first I thought they were AMAZING....I slept properly for the first time in months and most of the next day too. I felt groggy for a few days but this wore off and it just felt like my sleep had re-set to how it used to be. Unfortunately, as I now realise is very common after reading lots of other reviews, I started gaining weight. My appetite has been ridiculous...my stomach is like a bottomless pit that I cant satisfy. I decided to go on a diet a month ago and despite feeling ravenous most of the time, I stuck to a really rigid diet and upped my daily excercise. I lost 2 pounds, but unbelievably put them back on again even though I have changed nothing. I really think Mirtazapine does something to metabolism because I have put on a stone and half. I have a lot of willpower, I gave up drinking and smoking 8 years ago. So I rang my doctors today and I am going to reduce the mirtazapine from 30mg to 15mg for a week, then she told me to stop taking them altogether for four days, then start taking fluoxetine. I'm really worried about my insomnia coming back though I think it was triggered by anxiety so hoping the fluoxetine will deal with that. I have been on fluoxetine lots of times in the past so I know that they work for me. But I'm also worried that the guidelines they have given me for switching from one antidepressant to another is way too quick....I've read some horror stories on the withdrawal from mirtazapine being horrendous. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and moving house in a week so I'm probably choosing the worst time to come off them!! I just keep catching sight of myself in the mirror and feeling so shocked at how big I've got. I know that everyone is different but I would really appreciate any advice/experience of anyone who has switched from Mirtazapine to fluoxetine. Thank you! xx

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.