Switching from Omeprazole to Protonix

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!  My doctor is switching me from omeprazole to protonix in the hopes that this will reduce my symptoms.  I had actually asked for him to add ranitidine instead of switching me to what appears to be something stronger, but he said he'd like for me to try protonix.  My main complaint is an uncomfortable feeling in my chest and burping.  If you've switched to protonix and felt relief, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Want some sound, solid advice????  Ditch the PPI'S now, ever thought your acid short,? Not over acid!!!!  Quotes from 2 pharmacists! Keep talking that dose and it will KILL YOU!!!! They rob your body of everything, magnesium!!!  Leading to brittle bones. 

• Posted

Why?????  I was addicted to PPI'S. Its addicting mentally. Sorry can't help. 

• Posted

Hi 

PPI’s are nasty. They caused a drop in my calcium levels, they also caused a drop in my phosphate levels. They can cause osteoporosis, B12 deficiency, dementia. In fact it would take too long to tell you how bad they are. I’m in the same position as you, in agony, but I moved on to ranitidine. 

• Posted

Ahhh, that makes me nervous.  I think I need to revisit this with him before I actually do the switch....  I'm not in actual agony, just alot of discomfort and it's been quite a while of this.  I'm sick and tired of it.  Fed up.  And I've heard that you can take the omeprazole and use ranitidine on an as-needed basis.  That appeals to me much more than moving on to a stronger medicine.  Thanks!

• Posted

The bottom line is? No ant acids are good,natural alternative, diet, lifestyle and some. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.