Switching from paroxetine to mirtrazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP has switched my antidepressant from paroxetine to mirtrazapine .She has instructed me to stop taking the paroxetine immediately & to take the mirtrazapine instead.

i feel so poorly having gone "cold turkey" for a week now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Your comments would be most welcome

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi mumsie, yes its rough at first, im now into week 3 of mirt changing cold turkey from sertaline, and its been very up and down but im starting to feel more balanced - im on 30mgs now for 2 weeks so still early days, did your doc prescribe you any benzos to help with the anxiety? i take a lorazapam every 2-3 days when i feel the anxiety building which has helped a lot,but i hope to stop that when the meds fully kick in and i go back to work, best of luck to you x

• Posted

Thank you Karen for your prompt reply i do take lorazepam each day but the terrible anxiety is still there i guess i just have to give it more time for the paroxetine to subside & the mirt to kick in

kind regards

• Posted

yes its a hard phase coming off one and going in to the other - i was on paroxetine for a few years a while ago, it was great but it pooped out - is that what happened with you? mirt is quite different to any other ssris, made me drowsy at first then when i went up to 30mg the anxiety kicked in more, but it seems to have calmed down now, still getting a great night sleep though which is such a bonus, so personally it is looking like its a good one, hang in there x

• Posted

yes it had ran its course .just a matter of time & patience i guess but i feel so over anxious & depressed.

Im still not convinced its a good thing to go "cold turkey" but i put my trust in my GP All you can do really.

Thanks for your support x

• Posted

i know who you're feeling, you're not alone, what dose are you on? how much lorazepam ? i have been fairly ok today until the past hour i started getting anxious, trying to not take anything and have a bath in an hour to calm down x

• Posted

oh you poor thing its strange how the anxiety happens so quickly Tomorrow is another day & another day of allowing mirt to kick in & parox to get out of my system im taking 15mg of mirt & was on 30mg paoxeteine.Im afraid the only thing that calms me down is lorazepam which i take every day it helps a lot

I have terrible sweats do you?

Also my dreams are so vivid I hope they dont turn into nightmares .

Considering CBT when the drugs have settled down

My GP puts a lot down to the menopause coupled with irrational obtrusive thoughts

keep in touch & hope you feel calmer tomorrow x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.