Switching from pregabalin to venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with GAD and have recently been advised, by my doc, to swap from pregabalin to venlafaxine.

I have had a lot of complications coming off another drug, mirtazapine. So am apprehensive about changing again.

Has anyone done this swap and how was it conducted? What doses did you take and how long did it take you?

My doctor wants me to start taking the new drug at the same time that I am reducing the old one. Does that sound the same as other people?

Also how are people who are on venlafaxine getting on? Does it help for anxiety?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy. I can only speak for myself as I have some experience with Venlafaxine..I'm tapering off this drug at the moment, and it is hell for me. When I initially started on this, it did its job and lifted my mood significantly. Big problems when I tried to come off. I wasn't aware of the after effects and so wasn't prepared. I was so ill, shaking, shivering, hot, cold, crying like I've never cried before and migraines. I gave it a while and stupidly took a tablet just to stop the headaches. I've tried 3 times to come off it and I'm still struggling. All I can suggest is do your research, read everything you can find on this drug. Some people struggle, some don't, but I really did. There is a lot of imformation about this drug, so please read up on it. Good luck. Julia 

• Posted

Hi

I find venlflaxine very good for anxiety but i have never tried to come off it. Not sure about pregabalin.

Can i just ask what happened when you came off mirtazapine as i am about to start coming off 45 mg of it. What happened ? How fast did you taper ? How long till you recovered ? Sorry to answer with a question just am very nervous about it.

• Posted

Thanks Sarah.

It took me awhile to come off mirtazapine, up to 18 months. But that is just me. Generally I think it is considered an easier one to come off.

I reacted very badly to it . But that is just me.  It doesn't mean you will struggle.  Just take your time and I'm sure you will be fine.

Andy

• Posted

Hi

What dose were you on ? What withdrawal symptoms did you get ? Did you feel withdrawals the whole 18 mths ?

• Posted

Hi,

I'm coming off Venlaflaxine which is very difficult. I was taking Pregabalin at the same time. I would check it out of Drug Interaction site though because it doesn't advise taking the two together. But if it just until you stabilise on Venlaflaxine probably be ok. I always check everything myself now because have little confidence in doctors where meds are concerned.#

Good luck

• Posted

Following. Very interesting.  I am currently on 150 mg Venlafaxine (Vensir XL) and 150mg Pregabalin. Have been since approx May 17. Not feeling my best but ok. Finding a bit (tho nowhere near why I'd need to be to feel signs of recovery, it's quite an improvement if I look for the positives!) challenging as if I'm stuck yet no idea where I want To go/be...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.