Switching from Sertaline to Fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have started going to a phyciatrist (haven't gone to one in a couple years) I have been on sertaline for years (since I was 10 but have been off it twice in the last 7 years only to get back on) my new phyciatrist thinks that prozac will suit me better. I suffer from general anxiety disorder along with obsessive compulsive disorder both of these revolve primarily around my health both mental and physical.

Because I will be making the switch I am extremely nervous. I also am nervous because the past few times I have gone up in my medicine i have suffered horrifying anxiety attacks with derealization, which I never experienced before until upping meds. My doctor wants me to go from 50mg sertaline to 40mg of fluoxetine which I think is equivalent to 100mg of sertaline I think. So I very scared that with switching and upping at the same time I will have another horrible axiety attack...does anyone have any advice?

I seem to feel fine aside from some slight ocd tendencies on 50mg sertaline...so I'm very worried that my body just doesn't need that much medicine.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Fluoxetine either works fine or you get side effects for the first few weeks but worth sticking with the plan...... Things do get better......
  • Posted

Just took my first dose of 40mg today ( it was a capsule so I couldn't break it so I just decided to get it over with) I'm hoping that it will help after sertaline seemed to be just too difficult to get back on or up in dosage...my psychiatrist thinks it will be a better fit for me any way, so I'm hoping he's right. Just hoping I have minimal side effects, I really don't want anymore anxiety.

Has anyone done well on 40mg for anxiety and ocd? What should I possibly expect?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.