Switching from Sertraline to Fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on sertraline since I was around 12-13 I am almost 19 now. It has been my “wonder” drug. It does help somewhat with my anxiety and depression but as my doctor now just confirmed that I have an OCD disorder that needs controlled, we’ve realized that over the last year or two it has slowly began to stop working. I am on a high dose of it at 200 mg if I’m having a rough time in life and 100 mg any other time. We’ve tried switching a few years ago to Effexor because he believed the ssri Med was causing my asthma and lungs to vengefully try and kill me. Effexor turned me into a legit homicidal psycho. Again, homicidal, not suicidal *suspense music entered here*. Now I am aware that Effexor is a totally different class of drug but having such a terrifying experience trying to switch in the past I am again, terrified, to switch to fluoxetine. I don’t ever want to feel like that again but I can’t handle the way I am now either so something needs to change. He is starting me on 40 mg of it and we will adjust it if we need to. 

Here’s the real thing: what’s it like switching from sertraline or any SSRI to fluoxetine?  How long does it take to notice a difference?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I’m going through the exact same thing my Zoloft (50mg) stopped working and Im switching to Prozac (20mg). Took the first Prozac yesterday I have been having constant panic for like a week now and I’m so scared about switching. Please tell me now this turned out for you I’m desperate 
    • Posted

I am I'm the exact same boat. Haven't made the switch though. How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Hi did you make the switch ? My daughter is in the same situation and I’m trying to see how it worked out for others
  • Posted

Hi there, I was on fluoxitine(prozac) last year along side other medication, I have to take for a diagnosed illness unfortunately . But For some reason I did not like how it felt for me, as I have very bad anxiety and ruminating thoughts, like ocd but psychologically. So I am now on sertraline and I believe this helps, dose not ever take it completely away, but ease's it. I hope fluoxitine works for you as I have been told they all work differently, for each person. I just wanted to ask I am only on 50mg of sertraline, so as I seen you said you were on 200mg sometimes, would you recommend taking a higher dose for myself? How did you get on, did you start lower dose first, and did it work, or did you feel you had to be on higher dose for effect?

Thanks michael

• Posted

Hi my daughter is 17 and has severe anxiety, she was on Zoloft for 5 years and it no longer works, she switched to Prozac exactly 14 days ago and everything is still severe not any worse but not any better , how long did it take for the Prozac to work?? Psychiatrist says it should have only taken a few days since she was on Zoloft before but everything I read says it can take 6 weeks , I read your post and wanted to reach out and see if it worked for you and how long it took and if your anxiety became worse before it got better with Prozac thanks for any info

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.