Switching from Sertraline to Fluoxetine, advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I started on 50mg of Sertraline last month for depression but found it had lots of side effects, which made me feel a lot worse. I was on the 50mg for 6 weeks but couldn't take how awful I was feeling so have been on 25mg as of last week. The side effects have since reduced greatly and this drug is clearly not for me. I saw my doctor and she prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine but I am unsure of the best way to switch over to it. I am considering just switching straight over because I have only been on Sertraline for 7 weeks and the last week I've been on the lowest dose. I don't know if this is the best thing to do though. I have seen differing suggestions, which has left me confused.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to switch?

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was also on Sertraline for depression but my anxiety levels seemed to go through the roof. After a few months my gp changed me over to fluoxetine and I swapped straight overnight. I feel much better with depression and anxiety.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike, that's good to hear. Think I will do the same and just switch then!

• Posted

Hi,

Good luck with that, watch out for any reactions, I was okay.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi,

Good luck with that, watch out for any reactions, I was okay.

Mike.

• Posted

The same thing happened to me. However, I was slowly taken off the Sertraline and slowly placed on fluoxetine. Eventually I was off the sertraline and now i am on fluoxetine but it takes about 8 weeks to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.