Switching from Tamulosin (Flomax) to Alfuzosin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have been taking Tamulosin (Flomax) for over a year. Recently my doctor switched me to Alfuzosin. He instructed me to take BOTH for 10 days and then drop the Tamulosin. I have been taking only the Alfuzosin now for about two weeks. Beginning to think the Tamulosin actually worked better. Haven't called the doctor yet, but just wondered...if I switch back to Tamulosin, should I take BOTH again for 10 days befor going solo again with Tamulosin???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's a better question for your doctor, no?

As for Alfuzosin, it seems to get significantly higher marks than Flomax. With Alfuzosin no RE and no diminishing of the male drive. But...everyone's mileage may vary.

• Posted

I was on both, started with Flomax, for few years, got RE, finally switched to Alfuzosin, recovered most of ejaculant, I stop one and started the other one with no issue

• Posted

William,

I found that Tamsulosin worked better than Afluzosin at improving urinary symptoms. I stopped taking it and went back to Tamsulosin. It could be that since it is less effective, it is also causes less RE.

Thomas

• Posted

It's a basic way of life .The better something is in one way the worst it is in another

• Posted

Yes if something works very good the more side effects you get and the less side effects you get it does not work as well

• Posted

Yes if something works very good the more side effects you get and the less side effects you get it does not work as well

• Posted

I have heard there is an off label practice of doubling up on these alpha blockers for a short period. However, my doctor warned me to NOT do this and said it can be dangerous for your heart. Different people have different reactions to these drugs. Many tolerate both fine but I did not. I was on mostly Alfuzosin for 3 weeks post MRI FLA surgery but then developed an allergy to it: itchy red arms and very high heart rate (152 bpm) so had to stop it. Fortunately I did not need it anymore as I healed up so nicely and quickly post my MRI FLA surgery. I felt so much better getting off these drugs completely. They made me feel very lethargic, unmotivated, tired and not my normal self. Obviously follow your doctor's recommendations but if you are sensitive type like me then just be aware some people have negative allergic and other reactions to these so you have to try and see which one you tolerate the best is the only answer, and then get off them as soon as your doctor says its ok to do so. They all have long lists of negative side effects that are experienced by some people, but not others. I am told many take both of these (one or the other) long term with no issues but I did not tolerate Alfuzosin at all after 3 weeks on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.