Switching fron Ramipril to Losartan

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was prescribed Ramipril last year and within a week developed a dreadful hacking cough that dominated my life for the next few months. Couldn't sleep because the cough woke me up, dreaded going out especially to the theatre, and caused problems at work... constant coughing in meetings etc. Eventually was swapped to Losartan which I've been taking now about 3 months. Good news... no longer have the cough BUT I do have the following.... aches and pain in legs, weakness and fatigue, and itchy skin. Has anyone else expereincec this? Would like to know before I trouble my GP again!!!!!! :? :? :?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

At last i thought it was all in my head. I was taken off Ramipril 4 the same reasons u talked about and now 2 months into takin losartan havin the same side effects. U not on ya own.
  • Posted

I have been taking Losartan for about 4 years and yes, I have had pains in both my legs and feet really since that time, but thought it was arthiritis setting in. Some days can barely walk. Do you think it could be down to the Losartan? Let me know if you have investigated this possibility.
  • Posted

Following an operation to replace Aortic Valve, I was prescribed Ramipril.

The side effects, dry mouth, cough, headaches and lightheadedness made me intolerable to the Ramipril. I was taken off it and put on Losartan.

I started on the lowest dose 25mg and had side effects including dry mouth, cramp, I persevered for 3 months and the dose was increased to 50mg and now I have worse dry mouth and cough, pains in my hands, legs and ankles, at times making going upstairs difficult. This is the start of the 2nd month on 50mg (which I take at night as 2 x 25mg tablest), this gives me the option of reducing to 1 x 25 mg if the symptoms persist, which is the case.

• Posted

I too was switched to Losartan from Ramipril 5 months ago because of a night time cough, this my doctor did not associate with at first, it was only when I googled the side effects it came up.. Now ive been on losartan Ive been back with pains in my legs, it seems as though the archeries are aching? Now ive noticed my ankles and feet swelling badly almost every day to the point standing makes my legs ache, and im beginning to feel like an old woman at 45!.. Im relatively fit, and do sports, but this is getting worse, my doc said he can give me something for water retention, but I dont want to take more pills just for side effects.. Does anyone else have these problems with Losartan? My Gp said its the most used BP drug and not really known for these effects. Also it hasnt dramatically reduced my bp, its still on the high side even though im on max 100mg now..
  • Posted

I was on Ramipril and got nasty side effects but now I'm on Candesartan which gave me back pain for a few weeks but now I feel fine...
  • Posted

I was on Ramipril for Hypertension but got the hacking cough. My GP was reluctant to change them as they worked well on my blood pressure (never mind the fact I was having sleepless nights due to the cough). The medication was changed to Losartan Potassium about a year ago. The dosage was increased three months ago as my BP was still a little high (was also moving home and stressed) Within the last two months I have experienced severe facial swelling affecting both my eyes and my mouth along with extremely dry/cracked lips a very painful eczema type rash all over my face. I thought this was an allergic reaction to something but after changing make-up and facial wipes, pillows and the usual suspects I have suffered this four times now. It is also quite painful and I look like I have taken up boxing. Hope to visit new GP within the next few days to discuss whether this could be the medication. Apparently its called Angio-Oedema.
  • Posted

Just been prescribed Losatran (100mg) as an alternative to Ramapril and am now a little concerned after reading these posts. Can anybody give me any reassurances etc.?

• Posted

Everyone reacts differently to different drugs James. They could be fine for you and not others. Just have to give it a try and see how you are on them. I am

Sure there are lots of people take then with no issues

• Posted

Was diagnosed with high blood pressure approximately 5 weeks and prescribed Rampiril 2.5mg...these made me feel so tired and unable to exercise...they made feel very low, anxious and left a nervous feeling in my stomach...doctor changed me to 50mg Losartan today so I hope I can see an improvement soon... biggrin
  • Posted

I changed from Rampril to Losartan a couple of weeks ago after being on Ramapril for 2+ years. I developed a couple of side effects recently with Ramapril and since the change, aches & pains, stiff ankles,hips andleg pains have gone as has the horrible cough. No new side effects to report thankfully. I actually feel a bit

brighter so my fingers are crossed.

• Posted

I was worried when I read the reviews on Lasartan.

I too recently changed from Ramapril to Lasartan because of an annoying cough and itching.  I am hopeful that this will do the trick, as my brother has been taking Lasartan for years and doesn't have any side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.