Switching to citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi smile So I'm kind of new to this, I've only been on antidepressants for a couple of months... I started on sertraline but it was making me worse, so I switched to citalopram, which is, fingers crossed, better so far...Does anyone else have experience of switching meds? I've heard that it happens a lot but I don't know how quickly the new ones are supposed to kick in...?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any experience of actually switching during treatment. However, I have had experience of the difference between Seroxat and Citalopram. Seroxat was much more diffcult to get used to and had the problematic effect of making me over-confident and inclined to do and say things I never would have done beforehand. Citalopram had far fewer problems and kept me on an even keel until I could cope well enough to come off it. It took about a month to get to that stage.

Best wishes

John

• Posted

Thanks for the information, that's really good to know smile

Hannah

• Posted

Dear Hannah

I am so pleased to have found your post. I think it may even help me to get out of bed today. I was on prozac for 5 years but it seemed to stop working. i came off it cold turkey for about 3 weeks and actually started to feel better. suddenly the depression came back so the doc put me on to Sertraline, i would say for 4 weeks i felt nothing at all not even bad side effects. After 7 weeks i suddenly crashed into awful depression, the worst that i have ever had, infact i have been in bed now for 2.5 weeks and cannot stop crying or having dreadful thoughts. The doc stopped my Sertraline 5 days ago and now wants me to go on to citalopram, i am scared stiff to do this. I just realy want to know how you are feeling now and how long did the citalopram take to work. I can't believe i am writing in these forums i feel like a drug adict.

• Posted

Hi Beth,

I'm really glad if my post has helped, even a little bit - I know it's nice to know other people are going through the same stuff. So yes, I switched from sertraline after 5 weeks, and I've now been on citalopram for nearly 2 months. It's obviously different for different for everyone, but personally I found that sertraline actually made me worse, whereas citalopram seems to be working, fingers crossed! I did have a bit of a setback last week, but in general it's made me remember what it's like to feel normal! I would recommend you give it a go, but obviously it's your decision. Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Hannah

• Posted

Hi Beth,

I'm really glad if my post has helped, even a little bit - I know it's nice to know other people are going through the same stuff. So yes, I switched from sertraline after 5 weeks, and I've now been on citalopram for nearly 2 months. It's obviously different for different for everyone, but personally I found that sertraline actually made me worse, whereas citalopram seems to be working, fingers crossed! I did have a bit of a setback last week, but in general it's made me remember what it's like to feel normal! I would recommend you give it a go, but obviously it's your decision. Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Hannah

• Posted

Thank you Hannah. Its hard isn't it. I'm so happy for you that you are using that word 'normal' I long to feel normal. i so hope all goes well for you, we've gotta keep trying x
  • Posted

Thank you Hannah. Its hard isn't it. I'm so happy for you that you are using that word 'normal' I long to feel normal. i so hope all goes well for you, we've gotta keep trying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.