Switching to NDT

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I have been on levothyroxine for nine years and also tried liothyonine - nothing works. Im exhausted all the time and I don't know what to do.

The doctors overdosed me then took me off everything and I lost a load of my hair because they didn't know what they were doing.

I've heard NDT has helped a lot of people who feel awful on kev. My concern is switching to another thyroid medication and putting my body under more stress and losing more of my hair as well as making my heart palpitations worse

Has anyone had any experience of transitioning to NDT and how did that happen? Does anyone else find it any good?

I'm aware I'll have to pay for it in the UK but if there's a chance I can get my life back I'll try anything

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Awful on levothyroxine * sorry autocorrect
  • Posted

I'm currently taking Levo 88mcg and I'm having awful side effects as well. Such as; hair loss, night sweats, headaches, swollen gums, etc. I'm trying to get off of it but my Endo refuses to put me on a natural med or anything else. I'm very frustrated.

I was told the NDT OTC has less side effects and you'll feel like yourself again. I was also told that once you start the NDT/OTC that you can actually smell the toxins from the Levo detoxing from your body.  Levo is no good, it's nothing but poison, it also carries parasites since it is made in third world countries. I've only been on it for a month and I'm in a bad state mentally & physically. I had my thyroid removed and I'm stuck with taking meds for life.

Actually, I think I'm going to take myself off of it and try OTC, the only thing is I have to dose myself since my Endo will not approve it. You can purchase it online in U.S. It cost $54 for 120 count. A bit pricy but it sounds worth it. I'll try anything to get rid of the Levo. 

Do your research on OTC & NDT and you might want to consult a natrapath consultant they can help too. Acupuncture & herbs will help too.  Good luck to you dear. 

• Posted

Hi there,

sorr to to hear you are suffering too. I'm on this horrible medication for life too. My endo said he would be open to prescribing it to me on a private basis but after the past year of them changing my doses and then trying to wean me off the huge amount I was on, the side effects have been unbearable and I feel worse than I did when I originally went to e doctors after eight years of feeling awful on these meds.

you could go to a private endo (cost me about £200) but at least they take you seriously and will be open to NDT probably. I'm in Berkshire and can recommend someone who will prescribe it if you are anywhere near the area.

im just cautious as I've suffered so much already and lost so much hair I'm scared to make more changes and my heart is under stress too. I'm inly on 50mg now and feel wrecked,

• Posted

I'm in the U.S. Chicago IL and there are several good Endos here, but very few want to recommend NDT. Most of them state; it will take too long to get you on the proper dosage, it's an animal thyroid,  it isn't very healthy etc., etc. They seem to use every excuse in the book.

To my knowledge & research, the animal thyroid (pig) is what was prescribed here in the U.S. since the 1940's prior to the Synthroid/Levo. And, it worked just fine, there were no major side effects or complaints as far as what I've read. Now, 60 years later there's a problem suggesting & prescribing the animal thyroid. I don't get it!

It seem as if they don't understand that there's no bad side effects with NDT.  However; when you tell them the horrible side effects if the Levo they just simple say that you must give it chance and that they you have to find the right dosage. What they fell to understand is by then the body has detorated so badly until the patient no longer wants to administer the horrible meds anymore. But, for the majority of thyroid patients such as myself have no other choice. It's not the decease that causing the problem, it's the meds. 

It's so very sinful that we have to suffer this way. Im currently searching for a better Endo, I will not stop until find the right one who can understand what I'm going through. Good luck!

• Posted

Oh I see I thought it was just the UK doctors that try to put you off taking NDT. I've always wondered why that is.

Yes i agree with u my symptoms only starter worsening when I took the medication. I feel rough at the moment and in a lot of joint pain too I wondered if that was linked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.