Swollen and extreme pain in shoulder.... waiting for surgery, need help!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am waiting for surgery in the next month or two to fix a torn labrum (due to continued dislocations) and bicep tears. In the meantime i have been in an extreme amount of pain and my shoulder/arm have been swollen. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to help alleviate pain/discomfort/swollen shoulder, etc. any help will be extremely helpful!!!

Thanks!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My Dr gave me a cortisone shot but it was 3 months before surgery. If your surgery is in a month it might be too close to surgery to do cortisone but you could ask. I would highly recommend cold packs and if your Dr is ok with it, anti-inflammatory usually up to a week before surgery. I hope your find some relief!

• Posted

You can certainly take paracetamol and NSAIDs. You could ask you Dr for a steroid/LA injection if that isn’t cutting it.
  • Posted

What is your doctor prescribing you to do in the meantime?  Secondly, I would use this time wisely to research your condition and the procedure to understand exactly what they are going to do and whether it will achieve your goals.  Don't assume they automatically know what they are doing.  And if you have had multiple dislocations and you made it through, what did you do those first few times to cope?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.