Swollen Ankle?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anybody else have problems with just one of their ankle, or both, swelling up? I have seen the Dr., two actually, and been told it's not killing me, but would be nice to know that others have cankles too. Lol

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should mention, I get plenty of water , try to walk at least 8000 steps a day, elevate it as much as I can and wear spot hose from morning until about 6 or 7 at night. Oh, and I eat no processed foods or salt. I am overweight.
  • Posted

Hi,i used to get one ankle that swelled. It doesnt anymore. It did on and off for a few years. Dont know why.
    • Posted

That's weird. How old were you and which leg was it. I miss being able to wear saddles and short pants due to the support hose but realize that in the major scheme of things it's not really that important.
    • Posted

Lol. Should say sandles. Not saddles
    • Posted

Its been a few years,i believe it was my right ankle,im now 59. I think it stopped after i lost about 40 pounds,ive since gained back half but my ankle is not swollen. I also dont exercise that much.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying I have been thinking it would help if I lost weight. It used to swell then I had an anxiety issue and lost about 40 pounds and it stopped. Have put it back on and look and behold it has started back up. So hard to lose the weight.
  • Posted

Yes I'm overweight also and have suffered with it for a few years. Went to cardiologist last week she thinks it's related to hormones and as a result of sleep apnea. Going for sleep test soon and ultrasound of heart for pre surgery work up. I just started using compression socks and it helps she suggested that also
  • Posted

I'm 54 and both swell but left leg is worse. I have lost some weight recently and they don't dwell as bad either. Have to elevate I sit all day at work in front of a computer and have to stretch and get up move around not good to sit so much.
    • Posted

Mine is my left leg also. I also get up and walk around and elevate my leg at hip hiegth while sitting. What a drag. smile
  • Posted

I had that too, I figured with all the weight I was carrying ankle swelling didn't surprise me, especially when the doctor said 'you're body isn't use to the extra weight.' So i went out on a mission to lose as much as I can, I lost a good 25lbs. I've gained about 10 back but I'm not overweight, and my ankles aren't swollen anymore. Another check mark on the peri/menopause saga. Sigh
  • Posted

How much sodium do you have?  Too much and you retain water - you could be low on Potassium. ...
    • Posted

Don't eat salt, nor processed foods and supplement my diet with a lot of potassium due to a heart rhythm problem. If I eat any salt at all, like if I go out for dinner i can really tell the difference.
    • Posted

Then maybe go back to yr doctor - could be a heart issue. Salt is really important as well, it's a myth that we should have low salt diets.  Like the myth that we shd have low cholesterol, eat low fat.. I have a heart rhythm issue - and i take magnesium taurate for it.  REALLY good for arrythmias -  some are directly caused by lack of that type of magnesium. Hope you get to the bottom of it!
    • Posted

I have had a lot of cardiac work up and take metoprolol tartrate. Swelling of leg is supposed to be related to leaky valves in legs, which is hereditary for some people and not and heart issue. And yes, for some, they must eat a low salt diet.
    • Posted

Really sorry. It's hard dealing with these types of things on a daily basis. You are too young to be having these issues!! Hope you get some answers soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.