Swollen ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am nearly 8 weeks since full knee replacement. But my ankle has been swollen every day since the op. The swelling is worse, after i have been walking or standing a long time. The later in the day, the worse it seems. 

Has any one else had the same problem. 

The knee is doing ok.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the same problem for about the first 6 or so weeks.  I asked my PT about it and was told it had to do with not walking heel to toe.  The more you do so the more the swelling goes down.  Something to do with how the fluid is circulated up your leg.  I worked on it and all of my exercises and it is now gone.  I am just over three month post op.  So ask your PT and see if they can help.  Cathy
    • Posted

Thanks Catchy. Sounds good advice. Funny when I asked my physio last week about the swelling. After checking it,and measuring my two ankles it was like they had never seen it before. So by all the response I have had back, it appears quite common.
    • Posted

It is common and uncomfortable.  Plus it looks ugly.  You might also look on the internet to see if you can find out more information.  Cathy
  • Posted

Get that ice therapy machine. You can rent it. I sleep with it and use it when I watch tv. My ankle was ready to explode it was so swollen and went down in 10 days. I am just 12 days out
    • Posted

You get it a place that would sell wheel chairs knee braces etc. ours is. Called Diamond Athletics. I'm in Canada
    • Posted

I will look into it, thanks.

On another subject, I was Pleased to see the fire brought under control. It must have been so devastating, for those poor people.

I live in Walsall, West Midlands, England.

Thanks Carol.

• Posted

Hey robert68675 I'm 13 weeks post op knee replacement still swollen ankles don't know what to do cranberry with lemon juice that's one option see I had 2 years ago my back fused then I still couldn't walk two hips done one at a time last hip January 2015 then they decided I still couldn't walk October first knee was done last knee was done February 8th 2016
    • Posted

I am currently waiting to see my GP, with this problem. I am hoping he can come up with a solution.

Thanks Angiejc

• Posted

Put your foot up and have someone gently massage it in an upward motion. It will help immediately

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.