Swollen Ankle after PT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. Today was my first day of PT. When I got home and took off my boot my ankle was really swollen than when I went in this morning . Is this normal? How long does this last?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately, it is. I had the same problem. Get your leg up and put ice on it.
    • Posted

Hey. So was you fwb at the time? How long can I expect this to go on? Any suggestions ? I'm elevating and icing it.

• Posted

Yes it’s normal. The swelling will last for a couple of months during the healing process. The ankle will have to gain strength from exercise and walking on it . Everyone healing process is different. I’m six months and I’m walking and running 3 miles 3 times a week with any pain at all ... broke ankle in 3 places, 7 screws, 2 plates... your doing great 👍🏿 keep on pushing yourself in pt ...

• Posted

Hi! What is your ecercise for the first session? I was suppose to go to my PT today but unfortunately did not make it on time. Next sched id on Thursday. But i'm moving my ankle up and down but with very little movement

• Posted

Hello. My first excercise was pressing my foot down then up then side to side far as I could 30 times each. Then I had to balance on one foot and could not do it. I was limited because I'm still oozing on one side. I was so swollen when I got home. I elevated my foot and it did go down.

• Posted

Keep using a towel to pull your foot up and press down on your foot with your hand. 3 times a day and you will get results... 3 sets of 20 for each excercise
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm wondering if I could just do these exercises at home and skip therapy.

• Posted

Sleep with your foot elevated (higher than your heart)...this always helped my swelling. If you have a compression sock use it, it can be uncomfortable but it works. And ice it as often as you can. A friend gifted me some booties that you can put in the fridge (in a bag) and they were a lifesaver! Work it. And the best thing you can do for your foot is massage it. Get in there and push that swelling back up your leg...I constantly "played" with my foot, massaged my incision, and just worked it...it really does help! Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.