Swollen Ankle Question

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys,

I recently broke my fibula and dislocated my tibia and had surgery. 2 weeks later, I am in a boot now. It has been a week with the boot so far. Do you know how long your ankle is usually swollen for? My ankle looks pretty big still and I am still elevating and icing as much as possible. Is there anything I can do to help with the swelling?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It swells for a while. Docs say up to one year. However I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle end of March. Had surgery, plate and 6 screws. I am week 13 post surgery, walk unaided, have no problem with swelling anymore. Never put ice on it, but elevated when I remembered. If I stand the whole day on my legs, it may be a little bit swollen, but not visible. Make sure you don't put any weight on as long as doctor say no weight bearing. Good luck with your recovery

Brigitte

• Posted

I'm 13 weeks since my fall. Now our if casts and boot and told I can FWB. Since last Friday. The pain and swelling I'm getting is bad and u seem to if gone backwards. Can't walk without crutches. 😢 have physio in the morning so will ask if this is right. I still ice by putting my foot in a bucket of iced cold water to help pain n swelling. Mine us never ending. Good luck with your recovery. Sx

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Does your swelling go away when you aren't standing? Right now, my whole ankle still looks kinda swollen even when elevating. Not as much as before, but compared to my good ankle, it is still swollen. 

Just wondering when it will start to go away. It doesn't hurt as much anymore and I am able to stretch it without it hurting too much. I was wondering maybe I should wrap it to help with the swelling. 

• Posted

Hi bpham, Swelling does take a while to go down once elvated, It looks so different to my other ankle, and my physio has told me that it will always look "thicker"  then my normal ankle. As ive said im 13 weeks in and still gets very swollen. Im now in dappers as I cant get my normal shoes to fit. Im normally size 5 but have had to get a size bigger due to the thickness and swelling. Sounds as if your doing well as your able to stretc without pain. We are all different so you may be lucky and not have too many problems. Just the thought of wrapping my ankle up brings my out in a sweat. lol Cant answer that one for you, I would think if its wrapped it may start to give pain as the swelling has no where to go. If you know what i mean? Physio today went well, and told me that everything im feeling and going through is normal. So worries have gone just have to keep up with my exercises. good  luck  sx

• Posted

Hi

I did exactly the same injury 4 weeks ago and was in a cast for 2 weeks before a boot now. I have thus only seen my ankle 2 weeks ago, but mine has not been too swollen. However I have been really strict about elevating my leg above the level of my heart from the beginning- so most of the day I lay on a sofa, head barely propped up and leg about 2 feet off the sofa on a stack of pillows ( actually a really dense pouffe works well as doesn't compress like pillows) and do the same at night. I only sit up for meals, and do minimal hopping around mainly because my whole foot seems to ache a lot then. So all I can suggest is to try and get as much leg up time as possible.

Good luck!

Janey

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. I broke my ankle in 3 places 3 weeks ago and just got cast on today. My upper foot and lower ankle have been causing me pain ever since I got the cast on. I feel like at this stage elevation is imperative. If my foot is down too long it begins to ache so I try to elevate as much as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.