Swollen Ankles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Hope all of you and your family are safe and well during this horrible time right now.

I have a question, have any of you experienced swelling in your ankles and or feet during your period? I am on day four and I haven't had a period since January. Prior to that I went a whole 100 days without a period. Leading up to this one, my stress and anxiety had hit an all time high with this virus running loose and my kids being home plus the hubby is home too working from home. Usually when he's at work and they're at school, that's my "me time". Now, I don't get any of that. But all that aside, my original question was about the swollen ankles. 😂 It's only the left leg. I think I've had this before but every time a symptom disappears and then resurfaces without warning, it feels new. Can anyone relate?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

hi Sharcerv - i have swollen knees & my left leg overall feels "puffy" - actually i would say my whole lower half appears "puffy". i have had them ultrasounded & its just fatty deposits, but alarming how it came on overnight. i will also add that i experience very tender/burning tendon, muscle, ligaments which all started 14 months ago. i do know that estrogen fights inflammation & when we lose estrogen, inflammation can happen. Also, i wanted to mention that many medications can cause swollen body parts, primarily blood pressure RX's - are you on any of those?

i hope you & your family remain healthy & safe in these crazy times -

• Posted

Yes, actually I am on BP medicine. I take Hydrochlorothiazide which is a diuretic.

• Posted

Didn't start taking bp meds until peri started. Prior to that my bp was normal.

• Posted

hi - sharcerv - yeah, i hear ya about getting on B/P RX during this Peri/meno journey...its the one thing that went crazy for me too - i would think the RX you are on would keep you from retaining any fluid, but who knows - you may want to contact your dr just to make sure everything is OK - i have asked my GP over & over about my leg issues & she referred me to rheumatologist, went to rheumatologist, still no answers so i come back to hormones are causing it - some days worse that others -

• Edited

I think it is just my hormones causing this because it has only happened to me once before when I was on my period and that was years ago. It only resurfaced again this time on my period. Today is day 5 and the swelling went away. I have been on this bp medicine for years and it's never caused this reaction so I don't think it was the medicine. It's just that sometimes these symptoms come and go so randomly that you forget about them until they pop up again like some sick game of "peek-a-boo."

• Posted

I have swollen ankles tonight. I have been trying to get back into exercising. Its one of the 4 reasons we are allowed to leave our house haha I've been sitting down for the last couple of hours as I am studying and when I stood up I noticed both ankles quite swollen . I'm not sure what is normal anymore

• Posted

I have swollen ankles tonight. I have been trying to get back into exercising. Its one of the 4 reasons we are allowed to leave our house haha I've been sitting down for the last couple of hours as I am studying and when I stood up I noticed both ankles quite swollen . I'm not sure what is normal anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.