Swollen ankles post transplant

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm usually one for giving advice on here but looking for some suggestions or advice. I've recently returned to work after I got my transplant in October. I'm a bit concerned since lately I've noticed my ankles have swollen in the evening after work. Also getting a very mild pain in my side and back near my native kidneys. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Stevie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Stephen, swollen ankles, as you would already know, (I'm assuming you've suffered from chronic kidney disease for a number of years before transplant?), is a sign of fluid overload, and it's an indication that your heart cannot cope with the excess fluid, therefore, the fluid pools at the lowest end of the body being the feet. The body will only circulate blood efficiently around the vital areas and organs of the body, before the lower limbs.

im interested to know whether or not, you were placed on a restricted fluids I take regime for the rest of your life (which most post transplant people do/are), and also, the type of work you do. If your either on your feet all day, or in a sitting type position- this will also result in swollen lower limbs in even the healthiest person with no history of CHK. 

As as a matter of interest, at end of the day, press your thumb onto the swollen area. If it takes up to 5 seconds, for the thumb indent to return to normal, it's a sign your retaining fluid and I'd urge you to make an appointment with. Your nephrologist immediately- as you do not want to risk any chance of destroying your new kidney.

if the indent immediately re turns to normal and colour returns, it's simply that you need to take the time at the end of the day to elevate your legs, like most people do, and I'd restrict yourself to approx 12-1500ml of fluid a day. If elevation of feet, with a bit more monitoring of both fluid input and output, I'd monitor and measure it and record it daily, but nothing is more imports than taking care of that kidney! Unfortunately, my mother wasn't lucky enough to receive a kidney due to multiple other health problems, and we were flat out disgusted when in the renal unit of a major hospital, that an Aboriginal woman was I. For her SECOND kidney, due to alcohol abuse, and was quite vocal about cracking open a tinny (Aussie slang for drinking alcohol) as soon as she was discharged as second transplant had taken well.

So never EVER compromise that kidney. Personally, if I even suspected I had problems, I'd be ringing and making an appointment to see your nephrologist. You may think it's trivial, but are you willing tand to take that chance? 

You were here lucky and blessed with a precious gift, so on behalf of everyone out there on the transplant list, I urge you to seek medical advice from either your care link nurse who is your first point of contact, or your nephrologist - but ensure it is someone who is trained in both  CHK or even the surgeon who did the operation!

Regards, Sonya

• Posted

Sonya thanks for your reply. I was on haemo dialysis until October last year and was eventually put on a litre a day limit of fluid intake as I eventually stopped peeing. Since my transplant I am encouraged to drink between 2 and 3 litres of fluid per day. I've a feeling however this may be work related as I also find my feet are sore after a days work as I walk a lot in my job. Also owing to the various meds I'm on I have gained considerable weight but again am getting to grips with this. In Glasgow we are treated as new transplantees for a year and therefore any niggles no matter how trivial, we are encouraged not to see our GP but instead will be seen right away at the transplant clinic. I'm due next week and in between times if it persists I know I can just get called in anytime. I'm sorry to hear of your mum's plight and I understand your anger towards those who would not wake up grateful for the new lease of life they are given and wish to p+ss it away on alcohol abuse.

Thanks again Sonya

Stevie

• Posted

Very helpful response Dialysis but I didn't appreciate your racist remark cutting across many levels aimed at the Aboriginal community.

• Posted

Stevie, I'm sure you are probably reporting this to your doctors.  The fluid retention (if that is what it is) could be from sitting all day (if this it your type of work) and for having had the transplant so recently, I'm sure the doctors will adjust your medication to handle.  I had my kidney removed in July 31.  In December I experienced pain in area of my native kidney.  It was examined and turned out to be muscular caused by the operation on the other side.  I did some physical therapy and 4 weeks later was fine.  Ask your doctor soon.

• Posted

Thank you Rick

I have a feeling this may be down to work as I do walk a lot in my job. Coupled with medication for anti rejection and steroids I have put on considerable weight also. I am comforted by the fact I can see the transplant team any time and if this persists I will go in and have it looked at. It's great having a new lease of life it really is but you become almost "too circumspect" at the slightest of things, which we are advised to report on to the team. I'll see how today goes and decide what to do.

I hope you're well after your nephrectomy and thank you for the advice. Again the pain in my native kidneys does in fact feel more like a muscular issue but again I'll tell the team.about it

All the best

Stevie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.