Swollen Bump on Penis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had small bumps on my penis for the last few months and just a few days ago they swelled up, and now I have a large red bump. Its much larger then before, I think it could possibly be an infected ingrown hair.

Anyone know more?

imageimage

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Barry, these are very common - and you are right, one of the common causes is an ingrown hair that has become infected, or it could simply be a blocked skin pore that has also become infected.

You mention small bumps, these could actually bee a natural development to your penis, for the majority in this location they are Fordyce Spots.

What you may have inadvertently done is to have irritated these consistently for the last few days and this has produced both the infection and the bump. The other possibility is that you have both an infection and a Penile Cyst - I suggest treating the infection first and seeing what clears away from there.

You need Liquid Antiseptic - often you cannot use brand names on here - but as a trial I will mention dettol or tcp.

Get a very small amount of the liquid antiseptic undiluted on a fingertip and apply directly to the bump. It may really sting initially, but thereafter be less than this. Apply 4 or 5 times a day until you notice the bump reduce in size, then after apply 1 or 2 times daily until the bump is completely gone.

If this is an ingrown hair follicle it may become infected again a later date - in these circumstances the hair would need to be drawn out, and it will either come away, or simply become pointed in the normal outwardly direction

• Posted

The swollen bump has been gone for a while now but a dark scab has formed in its place. There also seems to be a small bump beneath the scab. I don't know if there's still an ingrown hair under the scab or if the pore is just blocked? Anyone have any ideas/remedies?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.