Swollen eyelid due to Blepharitis but no other symptoms what should I do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

My right eye lid has been swollen for almost 2 months now, I have tried everything hot compress you name it I’ve tried it. I have recently been to the doctors and been diagnosed with Blepharitis. I have never had any of the symptoms which include itching eyes or crusty eyelids/ dry eye lids so when googling to self diagnose myself I never thought Blepharitis is what was causing my eye problem but according to the doctor it is. I was prescribed with 1% hydrocortisone which the doctor said should reduce the swelling. It has made no difference and to be honest the swelling seems now more noticeable. 

Having one swollen eye is truly starting to get my down. I know there are things a lot worse which could be happening but I am only 21 and my eye looks completely different to my left eye I am extremely self conscious about it. 

I haven’t worn makeup in well over a month to make sure none of my make up was contributing to this and stopping wearing it has made no difference. 

Has anyone had anything like this before? Could it be something other than Blepharitis considering I don’t have any other symptoms? 

Does anyone have any advice on getting my puffy swollen eye to go back to normal since the steroid cream has had no effect? 

Thankyou in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this. I know off the bat it seems like having a swollen eye may not be a big deal but it really is starting to affect my confidence now. 

Thankyou 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Danielle. At 21 yrs of age, my heart goes out to you. Symptoms of Blepharitis can vary quite a bit, unfortunately, each person has different problems. I found a cold flannel followed by a wipe of some sort helps. Myself, Ocusoft is the best one for me. There is always the possibility, it is something completely different to your diagnosis. Perhaps a second opinion would set your mind at rest. Good luck, and l wish you well. Mary. xx
    • Posted

Hi Mary, thank you so much for your suggestions, is ocusoft a type of wipes?  I think maybe in a few weeks I will get a second opinion even if it is just to see what they have to say, thankyou for your help xx
    • Posted

Hi Danielle. There is two types of Blepharitis. You may have the one on the eyelash line. Cleanliness is the key. Once the little mites are under control, you can resume wearing eye make up again. I prefer the ocusoft cleanser or wipes, because it doesn't need cleaning off. Good luck. xx

• Posted

Hi Danielle, of course it’s a big deal lol. It’s uncomfortable and interfering with your enjoyment of life.  Forgive me if I’m telling you to try something you are already doing but here goes.

shampoo your eyes with a pea sized blob of zjohnsons baby shampoo using separate fingers for each eye. It’s important not to cross contaminate. 

Chck your hair hair products to ensure you are not getting any in the affected eye. Does your fringe fall on the affected side.

keep up with the prescribed treatment and return to doctors if it is ineffective, anti allergy drops may be prescribed or some other treatment.

you may have dry eye. Are you working under or near an air conditioning outlet which is predominantly blowing on your affected side. You can get Dry eye ointment which may help.

its different for everyone and it’s a question of trying all sorts to dis over the root of the problem. Take a step at a time.

as and when you feel you can risk wearing make up. Buy all new makeup and disposable eyeshadow applicators and mascara applicators. Do not put used applicator back in mascara container. Discard old and use new every time ensure it is adequately loaded. I find a cream eye shadow that sets is better than powder which can get in the eye during the day. Above all, remove make up gently and thoroughly with non allergenic eye makeup remover then shampoo as usual. I find Boots no 7 is ok for my eyes. A make over with Clinique makeup caused my Blepharitis so stick to Boots.

good luck and don’t lose heart xx

• Posted

Hi Pamela, I know it really is and then people say to me it’s not noticeable but when it’s on your own face you really pick apart any abnormalities.  

The shampoo is something which I have read a few times now but have been hesitant to try so perhaps I should give that a go. My hair is always off my face but thankyou for the suggestions. 

I actually developed this problem over Christmas whilst I was back home in a completely different environment and now having come back to where I live there is no difference better or worse, it’s very frustrating. 

The disposable makeup applicators are a good idea, so is it contagious? As I only have it on one eye I absolutely dread to think of getting it on both eyes. 

I would love to know what caused mine, thankyou so much for your suggestions they are something to keep me going and keep hope xx

• Posted

I really wouldn’t use shampoo this method has been confirmed dangerous now for a long time.

Me and my daughter suffer and we use blephasol available st boots - use on a cotton pad and wipe like

Taking make up off. Also anything anti inflammatory such as cucumber resting on the eyes. Try natural before chemicals - Espa do a range of natural products for the eyes but are more expensive - try one of the above first 

• Posted

Try Doxycycline. I took it for three months and it really helped eyelid swelling. You need a prescription. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Call your Doctor tell him its not working maybe he will call in something stronger like Lotemax.
    • Posted

The Doxycycline  does work you have to take it every day, I took it two months.
    • Posted

Doxycycline and Lotemax and OcuSoft lid scrub, eye mask 10 mi, three times a day ( Works) 
  • Posted

Ask your Doctor about Lotemax eye drop, its a steroid only use two weeks but it works.
  • Posted

Dear Danielle,

I can give you an example of someone who had the swelling on her eyelid. A young girl came over to my house and her eye was swollen on the top eyelash area. She had on a lot of mascara. I talked to her about being allergic to anything in the soap area. 

I let her have the post that I had about the Wet Ones. It was driving her insane. She tried the Wet One and said it felt better. I explained it had to be for 3 months and not miss a day. As soon as it feels better she went down to 2 times a day. 

I explained about using new mascara and throw away wands and to never double dip into the mascara. She needed to use one wand for each eye and to take it off when she got home. I sent her home with a box of the Wet Ones.

She did fine but did move away but her grandmother has never mentioned her eye swollen in any pictures on face book so I am assuming all is O K. 

Be sure to wash your eyes with 2 different wash cloths as can infect the good eye. I did.

i did read this info from a doctor, online, too about using 2 wash cloths. I used white so they could be bleached and used vinegar for the rinse cycle.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.