swollen feet

Posted , 11 users are following.

Idon't know if it's a coincidence or not but I increased my pred from 15mg to 20mg on sSaturday and over the last few days I have noticed that my feet are swollen. Not hugely but I can feel the straps of my sandals digging in. I suppose it could be the weather but I don't normally have a problem. Any ideas?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Deborah, same thing happened to me and I'm no longer on steroids?  I was blaming it on a new BP pill, but now since the very hot weather has disappeared, so have my swollen ankles.  So definitely the weather IMHO.  Sit with your legs raised whenever possible.
  • Posted

You may be right about the weather being a factor, there are so many variables that are involved it drives me crazy.  One thing I know is that using pred can lead to diabetes or diabetes like symptoms.  I was prescribed, and take MetFORMINhcl to combat the effects of pred that can lead to diabetes.  I suggest you ask your doctor about this.  Good luck
  • Posted

It's just the luck of the draw Deborah, I now have glaucoma which is

attributable to prednisone, it's under control but my pressure went up

to 62, that's why I think its so important to see an opthalmologist.  Because

of all the side effects of prednisone I think doctors are anxious to get you off

it as soon as possible but I would definitely go slowly, it has taken me 18

months to get down to a recent 3 - so far so good.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. My gp increased my dose of pred as I was getting a lot of pain back. For about 3 months I'd been almost pain free but over the last few weeks it was steadily increasing. I've only been taking the extra 5mg for 3 days but as of last night the pain has become almost unbearable. My back around my ribs is excruciating. I'm not convinced that it is pmr, I have had fibromyalgia for about 13 years so don't know if this is fibro pain or pmr. The pred has also made my diabetes much worse. Before pred it was perfectly controlled by metformin, now I'm on 4 different medications for diabetes and its still no where near under control. In fact I've been referred to the diabetes team with a view to starting me on insulin. I feel thatstarting the pred was the worst thing I've ever done. If I knew for certain that I definitely have pmr maybe I'd feel better about it.
  • Posted

Hi Deborah. I got terribly swollen ankles last year after being on pred a few months. My gp gave me Furosemide and that has taken care of it, as well as helping my high blood pressure. I also get the pain you describe in my back. It gets really bad when I am using my hands to do anything in front of me, such as washing up, typing on the computer, even reading a book/mag. The only thing that helps is lying down for fifteen minutes or more. I have only had this since my last reduction to 7.5mgs. Have tried going back to 8.5mgs but so far that's not helping. I am loath to go back to 10mgs. I feel I am going backwards. Thank heavens, we all have each other! I'd go mad (ok, even more mad) without this forum! Take care, Debbie
    • Posted

Hi Debbie

After a few months on 60mg Pred, my feet,ankles & legs became swollen & still retain fluid, to the extent of not being able to walk properly or without pain since March this year.

My kidney function is in the 40s - not wonderful, but not disastrous for a 66 year old. Furosimide works intermittently well and not so well.

Gentle walking  and resting with feet & legs RAISED above heart level does help in the short term.

Like you, I'm thankful for this forum - it's very scary having new symptoms "appearing" evrey so often and a relief to know that otheres are dealing with the same issues.

All the best. Jean

• Posted

I have tremendously swollen feet and legs since on Prednisone. I know one of its side effects is fluid retention, so I just stopped worrying. Maybe one of these days, when I ever get off the stuff, if I still have all the swelling I'll try to track it down with a doc. Til then, maybe others have better advice.

Whatever, lots of luck--

• Posted

Yes, my feet swell up, but so does the rest of my body on (currently 20mg Pred). All part of the water retention with Preds.
  • Posted

I started taking Prednisolone 14 months ago ,started on 15mg for two weeks then up to 20 for two weeks then started the reduction, Got down to 9mg in December 2014,But that did not last for long up to 30 then down to 8mg then back up to 40mg at the moment have not had my wedding Ring on for nearly 2years and feet and Legs have been swolen with water for the last 3 months, Knees are verry painfull Rheumatologist Asperated 150ml of fluid from my knee and this helped for a short time,will not get Results from this till I see the Rheumatologist next week, With all that I have read on this forum I am also going to talk to her about coming down from 40mg Verry slowley, Think I came down to quickly the last twice.HappyDays.
  • Posted

The temperature is a factor and the increase in pred probably won't have helped. Mt feet were like balloons last week - after a few days of much more salty food on the river cruise we were on in China. Back to normal after sitting on a train for a few hours with my feet above waist level. I used to have swollen feet all the time - manual lymph drainage worked a miracle.

And I'm going to recommend you consider trying Bowen therapy for the back and rib pain. It might not work but what you describe sounds very myofascial pain syndrome-ish.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.