Swollen feet and legs. Not sleeping

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, my husband has just been changed from Venlafaxine to Metazapine. This is his fourth week but he's really struggling. He's not sleeping and this last week his feet and legs have swollen up like balloons. I'm really concerned about the swelling and don't know what to do. He has also said he's going to stop taking the tablets as they aren't helping. Has anyone else suffered with these side effects and do they get better or is there something we can do other than stop taking them ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jane

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry don't know I've just started taking them maybe see the gp though as 4 weeks they should be kicking in ? My gp told me to go back in 4 weeks 
  • Posted

Hi J. I have read other people reporting the same problem, how old is your husband? As the ones I read we're quite elderly. Do a search on this site. Soon after taking Remeron (Mirtz) I began to get bad knee problems and problems swallowing, sore throat. I have been taking it for 10 weeks for clinical depression after an operation, I was already in moderate depression before my op but when I woke I was in severe depression which knocked me for six! The Remeron helped my appetite and sleeping but I'm sedated all the time and still get anxiety. I was given Clonatril for this but tapered off it once I realized I had grown dependant on it! My knees have got worse the longer I have been on it and now my left knee keeps clicking! I thing Mirtz can attack week parts of us. I'm on 30mg. If on for four weeks then don't just stop, there's lots of advice around but cut back over the same period  tapering a little each day. Or if more urgent try it over two weeks, but always get advice from your Dr. As your husband may still need an alternative med. I told my PDoc my problems and he wanted I taper off and same time go onto another med. I he told me Rem has no withdrawel affects and told me reduce to 15 mg one week then stop. I got to 4 days at 15mg and anxiety was v high and I couldn't function,  so just stabilized back at 30mg now, tonight I will begin tapering a little over the next 6 weeks and see how it goes! Hmmmm apologies for whistling on! My best to you and your husband, take care.
  • Posted

Thank you for taking time to reply. Paul is 56 so not elderly. We can't get through to our own GP (dispite trying since 9am) so I have left a message for his psychiatris

to ring us back to see what the next move is

• Posted

Hi j

i have been on 30ml for a week and got dizzy ness, aching joints, sore through, headaches,vivid dreams, headaches, and disrupted sleep. My depression is better but my body is a lot worse, I am hoping things will settle down as the last 7months have been a night mare, trying different drugs, feeling panicky, not wanting to live etc.unlike your husband I have a very good GP that will come out at the drop of a hat. My age is 58 and we are not old enough for all these aches and pains, does this mean we pay that price for being sane! Sorry don't have any answers just my experience. Take care

• Posted

Hi, I  have sore knees and they are a bit swollen and my hands are quite puffy. I read the info leaflet and it was one of the side affects. I am in the process of reducing the dosage so I will be interested to see if these problems improve.
  • Posted

Just to let you know the psychiatrist receptionist advised Paul to go to a walk in centre to be checked out due to the swelling. Everything is ok BP etc so have been advised to come off Mirtz until he speaks to to psychiatrist on Monday.  This afternoon he has become really upset and crying which he wasn't before so unsure if this is another side effect. Thanks again for taking time to reply to my post and we will just have to see what happens on Monday
    • Posted

Think he may just be upset because of what is happening to his legs, it seems to be suck it and see as far as the side effects verses benefits. It is very frightening both on and off the tablets as you don't know what you are going to feel like each day. You being supportive is the best thing even if it is impossible to understand, it takes it's tole on everybody. Good luck
  • Posted

I’m suffering with swollen legs now they hurt I haven’t been sleeping ?? so I called my doctor he prescribed me 40mg lasix and remrom .. if I have severe insomnia which I do the Remron works great or actually xanax I hope everything works out to get some sleep ?? 

• Posted

Hi all . I'm just writing my very 1st review ever !! bare with me kind people . 🙄🙄 . I've decided to go cold turkey on effoxer and my legs are like balloons , butter I've also stopped Mira . bar the odd half one . so now I don't know which one has caused the painful swelling . Can anyone help please . thanks in advance .I also have deafness over the weekend , I'm 5.8 in , 14 stone , was 12 st 😣😣😣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.