Swollen fingers after cast removal for wrist fracture

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had my cast removed two and a half weeks ago after I broke my wrist - my fingers are still quite swollen and I was wondering what everyone else’s experience was with swelling after cast removal and is there anything I can do?

I am elevating my hand as much as possible and have got into a habit of holding my hand up when I walk around but people have told me just to position it as normal and let it swing and dangle by my side but am not sure?!

I attended fracture clinic last Wednesday and the doctor that I saw had no concerns!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Vanessa2018

I am in the same position as you after breaking and dislocation my wrist my fingers are like sausages and have been having physio, going to have some hydrotherapy tomorrow, to see if it helps, cannot bend fingers and no grip

• Posted

It’s not much fun is it?!  I have noticed that the swelling on my fingers is slowly receding but my wrist still looks swollen.  My physiotherapist has been great and I can now make more of a fist so keep percevearing and it will happen slowly!  I have now moved on to wrist strengthening exercises with a resistance band and this too has had a positive impact on the strength but still not 100% yet!

I have now developed stiffness and pain in my shoulder which could be the early onset of a frozen shoulder even though I tried to keep my arm moving - so frustrating!

Hope your hydrotherapy goes well tomorrow - take care!

• Posted

Hi, I've just got my cast off yesterday after breaking a bone in my wrist. Like everyone else my hand is quite swollen. I also get pains in the back of my hand when I clench my fist. Did anyone else get that? Might be tendons? Glad to hear everyone else is doing well. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Good day everyone. I had car accident last 23 January 2022. I have dislocated wrist and they had to put k wires and casted it. Last 09 March 2022, they removed the wires and the cast. Now I have swollen fingers and slight mobility in my wrist area.

Still no physiotherapy session.

I'm a Medical Technologist by profession and my company is telling me to go back to work on 01 April 2022.

How would I be able to do that????

• Posted

Swollen fingers after removal of cast are normal. Take your time to adjust and start minor physiotherapy and massages to gain strength and eliminate the swellings.

• Posted

Expect swelling/discomfort for up to one year after fracture, especially around the little finger side of the wrist. This is normal and does not mean there is anything to worry about. Your wrist and hand may also be very sensitive. Keep your wrist and hand moving to ease this and ask your physiotherapist for advice

• Posted

Hi...I had my wrist cast removed a couple of weeks ago and am dealing with swollen fingers too. I know that you posted about this years ago and I am wondering how your recovery has been and if you can give me any tips on how to deal with this issue. I am in physical therapy, wearing a compression glove and elevating my hand when I can. It gets swollen when I try and do most activities (except exercise).

I know what you mean about hair ties. My husband is getting very good at pulling my hair back in a pony tail.

Hope you have recovered and are doing well now.

• Posted

Hi...I had my wrist cast removed a couple of weeks ago and am dealing with swollen fingers too. I know that you posted about this years ago and I am wondering how your recovery has been and if you can give me any tips on how to deal with this issue. I am in physical therapy, wearing a compression glove and elevating my hand when I can. It gets swollen when I try and do most activities (except exercise).

I know what you mean about hair ties. My husband is getting very good at pulling my hair back in a pony tail.

Hope you have recovered and are doing well now.

• Posted

i hope everyone here recovered well , I am 10 weeks post broken wrist surgery and still have some swelling and lots of stiffness in my wrist, started physio which is painful, I guess I just need to be patient - any advice will be welcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.