Swollen foot/ankle 3 months after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. . . I had heel spurs removed in July . .I was off work for 3 months . .I have recently gone back to work . I am in retail on my feet for 9 hours a day. my foot and ankle are extremely swollen everyday, goes down some with elevation but never totally. . .any ideas to help . . Don't go back to Dr. for 2 more weeks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynnette

I had a few surgeries on my ankle and a fusion on the other foot / so left and right. My profession was retail management and sadly I can't and couldn't go back to it. Swelling lasts forever it seems! I still swell and its been 3 yrs for one and 2 yrs for the second one.

I put my feet up quite often and sometimes I still use my wedge to help.

Good luck!

• Posted

Well when I broke my ankle they said ice and elevation. I have also been taking ibuprofen. I haven't gone back to work yet but it has been since July 3rd. I had surgery on July 23rd. I go back on November 20th and I'm hoping she will clear me to go back to work. I also work on my feet 8 to 9 hours a day at a hotel front desk so I know that that is going to be rough. I also bought one of those tens machines. it's similar to the ones they use in physical therapy with the electrodes and I'm not sure how much it does for swelling but it definitely

• Posted

try soaking in EPSOM salt and warm water for 30-40 minutes when you get home, then elevate and ice for awhile

going back and forth with warm and cold seems to help my ankle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.