Swollen gland 2 months and other symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have had a swollen gland which is painless/not tender in the left side of my neck near where you would feel a pulse for around 2 months now. I am a female and I have recently turned 22.

I have also been experiencing fatigue after doing simple things like going for a walk, I have found that I now get exhausted very easily when I have always been very active. I have felt much weaker than usual and my muscles will get so tired they will occasionally shake like they would if I have done a massive workout when I haven't done anything to make this happen.

I have been getting short of breath after doing simple things like going up stairs and I feel my heart rate go up which is horrible! It's making me feel so unhealthy when I have to catch my breath after only going up stairs in a house. I am also getting short of breath easily when I walk which is embarrassing if I am trying to talk to someone.

I have lost weight over the last few months but I don't know how much because I don't have a set of scales at the moment, it's enough for people to have commented that I have lost weight. My appetite has also started to go down (usually I am always hungry!) but now I find myself rarely getting really hungry and starting to eat less. I have also been getting brain fog, it takes me a long time to think of a word when I am in conversation and it is getting me down. Also some light-headedness when I stand and some loss of balance.

The doctor wasn't helpful at all and told me that a gland can sometimes just swell for no reason. Even though I have symptoms which are affecting my everyday life she told me to "wait and see if it goes away". I have already tried waiting and things have been getting worse, I feel so upset and ignored and really don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice or been through a similar situation? I would appreciate any help, thank you for reading my post.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

A swollen lymph node can stay enlarged for years ,but the symptoms you have indicate that there is something going on-a persistent infection ,autoimune disorder and many other causes.You can do a CBC with a differential ,an ESR test and if you want to be detailed -C reactive protein and blood smear too.I suggest visiting a hematologist ,cause as it seems your doc is not helpful.Based on these symptoms you may be just fine or you may have a disorder but only a doc can diagnose that

Best of luck

• Posted

Hello

Thanks for replying to my post. Turns out the doctor had ordered blood tests without telling me! I went back to the surgery as I had found another hard lump/gland (not sure what it is) and they said I need to have my bloods done before they can do anything.

They have taken for CRP, ESR, FBC, glucose random, thyroid, liver function, and electrolytes. Just have to wait for results now. Thanks for the advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.