Swollen gland after 2 months.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys... I had mono 2 months ago. I've recovered almost completely, but I still have a problem. I have a swollen gland under the left side of my jaw. It feels rubbery and it's movable, it used to be tender 2 weeks ago but now it's painless. Maybe it's bigger than 1 cm (but not bigger than 2 cm). I was reading on the internet that if a swollen lymph node was between 1 cm and 2.25 cm there was an 8% chance it could be lymphoma. 

I'm so worried.... I'm very depressed and not able to sleep. I went to the dr 2 weeks ago for this reason and she ordered some blood tests, a throat culture and a nasal swab test for allergies. My next appointment is next month. I no longer have fever, night sweats, weight loss or fatigue. But it's still the same size it was 2 weeks ago. Is this normal? sad

I don't know what my dr is going to say after she sees my lymph node has not returned to normal. Just the thought of having a biopsy done scares the crap out of me and I'm scared of cancer so much. eek

By the way, I'm suffering from GERD (induced by all the antibiotics and drugs I took in the acute stage of mono), so my throat has been sore thanks to the acid reflux all this time (I've only started treating it with omeprazole a few days ago). I don't know if that has anything to do with this.... 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Dan,

It's nice to hear from you, and so sorry to hear you've had this problem with your lymph node and it's caused so much stress and worry. It's so draining I know. I do want to reassure you in this respect, I'm not sure if it's the same kind of thing but I had a swollen and painful gland under my jaw in my neck during the course of the virus, they did a scan thing and it was just a reactive gland, which is perfectly normal when going through and even after recovery from something like glandular fever.

You've done the right thing by going to see the doctor about it, but honestly something like a reactive gland like that is very common during and after glandular fever, and it is nothing serious to worry about - just your body's immune system fighting against infection. It's much more likely to be that than anything serious, truly, but you've done the right thing going to see the doc and the fact your other symptoms have faded is a very encourgaging sign.

Thinking of you and try not to worry - you're doing the right thing and being sensible by seeing the doc, hoping the blood test and doctors can put your mind at ease.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig. Thanks for reassuring me. I feel better now because the swollen gland has not grown. I'm aware that once you get mono, it stays forever, so I guess I'll have to learn with it and take care of my body.

I've worked at hospitals and I've seen that lymphoma is a very nasty disease which makes lymph nodes grow large and big, so I guess complaining about this swollen gland under my jaw is not going to take me anywhere. I'll just do whatever my dr says and rest because I'm not fully recovered yet. We'll all recover at one point eventually and that's the good thing.

• Posted

*I'll have to learn how to live with it and take care of my body.

• Posted

Hey Dan,

It's totally understandable, I was exactly the same, all sorts of things go through your mind and when you start looking it up on the internet it can get your head carried away - the web can be a good and a bad thing at the same time! Definitey did the right thing going to see the doc for blood tests and things though.

Hoping things settle down a bit and hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Sympathies, this illness is a right royal pain in the rear eh!

I first got it when 18 and am now 53 and still have recurrent symptoms.

On the question of the gland under the jaw, my latest recurrence of symptoms started 8 weeks back and saw a gland under my jaw on both sides swell up and then a gland on the lower right of my neck swell up. 2 of the 3 are now back to normal but the one under my jaw on the left side hasn't, just like yours.

I've learnt that if someone had told me not to exercise back when I first had it, I would not have re-triggered things a month later and then 5 months later again. 3 times in the first year was enough to make me have recurrent symptoms ever since. But I only get it now if (i) my system is low and (ii) I exercise. My system being low can mean while having a cold or within a week or recovering from a cold, also when recovering from an operation. It rarely triggered until I bought a mountain bike in my mid forties and I have been overdoing it physically ever since lol.

To get over it I have realised that I need to do my absolute utmost to not pump my lymphatic system. So if you exercise it gets pumped in a sympathetic manner with your blood being pumped. If you breathe deeply during exercise that also does it because there are glands that get pumped in a way related to your diaphragm moving. It also gets pumped if I have a warm to hot bath as that dilates the vessels.

If I keep the lymphatic system as calm as possible and not being drained quickly then the symptoms slowly disappear over a month or so and then I can start slow walking and build that up over a month to quicker walking followed by the mountain bike 6 weeks after my symptoms have gone. I have repeated this pattern for the past decade and get it every 2-3 years because I badly time some exercise time wise related to being ill!

So yes, the glands that suddenly swell up and hang around for a while are all part and parcel of the glandular fever experience I'm afraid.

The one thing I try and do is just be patient, get on with other things but keep that lymphatic system on a go slow!

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had such trouble with this Jeremy over course of many years. I really hope that you are able to manage it and can live a normal and active life. Thinking about you. I do want to reassure Dan also that your experience isn't necessarily the norm and that most people do recover and have it settle down and don't have persistent problems after the period of the virus. Hoping things settle down and get better for you.

Craig

• Posted

Hi everyone. I just wanted to come by and say hi. My swollen gland is back to normal. It's been almost three months since I got glandular fever. I don't know whether I've made a full recovery because I still have some of the problems I used to have before I got  glandular fever (gastritis/GERD, colitis, depression, anxiety and a mild throat infection that resembles the one I'd had in July.)

Tomorrow I'm going to see my dr about the throat infection (they ran some tests on me two weeks ago so I hope it's nothing serious.)

I hope everyone is doing fine and I know that recovery is a very long process, but it's possible. I still feel tired every once in a while, but I know that worrying about it is not going to help. wink

If someone is suffering from glandular fever, don't take a lot of medicines! The first weeks I took a lot of nsaids, antibiotics, syrups, etc and I'm still struggling with the damage they did to my stomach. So take it easy, drink lots of water and have plenty of rest. cheesygrin

• Posted

Glad it’s back to normal! Mine is till up after three months but I’m being patient, I know it will go away again soon as long as I take it easy. Not sure if you are a very active (exercise wise) person but just wanted to say to treat the illness and your recovery with respect ... don’t get too into sports too soon. Go for walks and don’t over do it too early. Having been through this a few times I’ve learned to walk (slowly) for a couple weeks followed by walking faster for 3 or so weeks and if no recurrence, I start more vigorous exercise (eg gentle cycling). 

Pleased to hear you’re on the road to recovery!

• Posted

Hi Dan,

It's good to hear from you and good to hear that your swollen gland has got back to normal. Yes you're right it is such a long and hard process for many folks the virus, but remember things will keep getting better from you from here, don't panic if you get any mini relapses or periods of fatigue as recovery continues, that is normal and won't last anywhere near as long and you hoping that you get on well at the doctor's about your throat infection.

Thinking of you still and remember you are going to get there Dan, FULLY I believe that in Jesus' name.

Craig

• Posted

Sounds like good advice Jeremy, remember you are going to make a full recovery too! Thinking of you and hang in there, just take it a day at a time is all any of us can do!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.